Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss British Ceramic Tiles - They actually want our feedback in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
10mm difference between 2 tiles enough said...

Screenshot_20180213-211405.png

Reaction score
Interesting thread...
I recently purchased a large amount of tiles, so I contacted BCT asking for their comments regarding this thread.

They said they were concerned about some of the comments here and as a company take great pride in the products they manufacture, willing to investigate any issues.

They quoted stringent quality controls and BS standards.
(To which I did question how the above tiles could possibly have passed this)

They also told me that Laura Ashley was a reputable brand and high quality.
(I pointed out another forum which stated Laura Ashley themselves do not take any responsibility for products their name is used on)

On the specific concern I had, which was poor glaze and possible water ingress, they stated that using waterproof grout and correct fitting would reduce the chance of this happening. They recommended always being fitted by a professional.
(I pointed out that it was the professionals who were seeing the issues and that it was the glaze/biscuit backing which was a concern, not the fitting. I then asked if any future problems with glaze would be rectified if by any chance something did happen)

Whilst I was concerned by this thread and emailed BCT, I did check all 150 ish wood plant effect tiles on delivery and only a small few had chips from delivery which were refunded.
The second batch, wicker tiles, actually via Bathstore had just a handful with very minor imperfections but appeared to be very high quality with good online reviews.

Therefore, I am hoping we see no issues, but because of this thread I thought it would be good to feedback from this angle.

OP
Q

Qwerty

Interesting thread...
I recently purchased a large amount of tiles, so I contacted BCT asking for their comments regarding this thread.

They said they were concerned about some of the comments here and as a company take great pride in the products they manufacture, willing to investigate any issues.

They quoted stringent quality controls and BS standards.
(To which I did question how the above tiles could possibly have passed this)

They also told me that Laura Ashley was a reputable brand and high quality.
(I pointed out another forum which stated Laura Ashley themselves do not take any responsibility for products their name is used on)

On the specific concern I had, which was poor glaze and possible water ingress, they stated that using waterproof grout and correct fitting would reduce the chance of this happening. They recommended always being fitted by a professional.
(I pointed out that it was the professionals who were seeing the issues and that it was the glaze/biscuit backing which was a concern, not the fitting. I then asked if any future problems with glaze would be rectified if by any chance something did happen)

Whilst I was concerned by this thread and emailed BCT, I did check all 150 ish wood plant effect tiles on delivery and only a small few had chips from delivery which were refunded.
The second batch, wicker tiles, actually via Bathstore had just a handful with very minor imperfections but appeared to be very high quality with good online reviews.

Therefore, I am hoping we see no issues, but because of this thread I thought it would be good to feedback from this angle.

Thanks for your findings

OP
B

Blunt Tool

This song always comes into my head when I fitted BCT, from the same era as their machinery it seems anyway!

OP
P

paddyh2

Do some work for a showroom who in fairness somehow sell a lot of BCT 600mm x 300mm tiles. The fitters all know how bad they are and know if your spacers are 2mm, have plenty of 3mm spacers and rubi wedges at hand. Cardboard box makes useful shim as well. British Curly Tiles they are affectionately known as.

Reaction score
Further to my recent emails from BCT, they highlight the complete opposite and ask those tradesmen here to contact them direct with these issues.

"With the opportunity to investigate, we would be able to fully understand the situation here. We would strongly recommend the person raising this issue contacts us directly in order for us to understand further. As you have pointed out, sometimes unfortunately things do not go as planned however when they do, we strive to resolve the issue, exceed our customers satisfaction and learn from our mistakes."

They also said
"As you have pointed out, there are several measures required in order to ensure water does not ingress into the tile. The steps you have advised, provided they are applied by a professional tiler, will ensure this does not occur. However, if we can prove that the issue is in fact a manufacturing glaze related issue, we will always thoroughly investigate and resolve as quickly as possible."
(In response to me raising the poor glaze issue some have highlighted)

OP
D

Dumbo

Funny . Little article in tile and stone journal about bct at KBB this year banging on about brand awareness . Company philosophy,consumer demand , trend lines , brand strategy ,latest innovation to retail audience but nowhere in any shape or form is QUALITYY or STANDARDS mentioned

OP
O

One Day

Funny . Little article in tile and stone journal about bct at KBB this year banging on about brand awareness . Company philosophy,consumer demand , trend lines , brand strategy ,latest innovation to retail audience but nowhere in any shape or form is QUALITYY or STANDARDS mentioned

This is what happens when a degree in marketing and or web design is worth SO much more than the old fashioned engineering apprenticeships.

I watched a documentary a while ago about a load of pensioners still employed to repair and maintain the Caledonian ferries. Some of the ladies stripping out and repairing engines and components were in their late 60's. Still employed because only they knew the stuff!
Where are the next generation coming from?
That's just one example.
All these snowflakes with their pointless degrees, who is going to keep the lights on, the water flowing, the roads, bridges and railways built???

Reply to British Ceramic Tiles - They actually want our feedback in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock