Discuss Has an expert done this job? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Reggiethethird

So, the general consensus seems to be that I'm not being overly picky.

It was suggested that I give the contractor the opportunity to rectify at his expense, which they are doing now, if this turns out even worse, which is my gut feeling at the moment, we will have to make a decision on getting a professional in.

With hindsight we should have delayed our kitchen install and ripped and replaced. We have been without a kitchen now for nearly 5 months and delayed the install twice already. I feel we went ahead almost out of desperation. We are genuinely gutted about this floor. To answer some questions.

The floor is approx 55m2.
We had 12 bags of 25kg adhesive originally and ended up ordering another 10 bags.
The adhesive has been laid thick on tile and floor.
No substrate has been used, tiles laid directly on concrete screed.
Our kitchen installer had to adjust the island as they noted a 6mm deviation covering 1.5m on the tiles.

Regarding the comment about doing our home work, that's fair and one of the main reasons we wanted to work with a contractor we trusted. We spent a year working through detailed quotations to select someone reputable. Apart from the tiling most other trades have been decent. This is the first renovation project I have done and with hindsight I would need to vet every trade... I stupidly assumed if I was paying for a ceramic floor to be laid, it would be installed by a tiler....

Your comments and suggestions are all much appreciated. I'll update with pics after the remedial work is finished.

R

Reggiethethird

Yes this is bad and I hope that this chap fixes what tiles he has done wrong. But maybe a picture of the kitchen floor panned out may not look too bad? And it may be a handful of tiles that need refining...........nevertheless it's your dream kitchen so I hope you get this resolved
Here is a pic of the floor from a wider perspective.

IMG_20170822_205900_856.jpg IMG_20170830_192536_545.jpg

R

Reggiethethird

After day 2 of remedial work to fix the issues here is the good the bad and the ugly. Thankfully our decorator and joiner have taken a look and feel confident they can disguise the huge gaps where the architraves have been cut. I'll let you guess which were cut by the plasterer/tiler whatever he is and the joiner.

IMG_20170901_170422.jpg IMG_20170901_142636.jpg IMG_20170901_170504.jpg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It looks like it could be salvageable cosmetically for the time being, but unless you know how the tiles were fixed you will not know the longevity of the tiles. You may be lucky and they stand the test of time. You will probably notice the grout cracking first as an indicator as to if they were fixed correctly.

Apologies for being a little harsh in my first response but a lot of customers come on here and complain about tilers work and on a lot of occasions, all they have done is choose the cheapest quote, which generally is a disaster waiting to happen. As you said you thought that the contractor would bring in the relevant trades to complete the works, which is a fair assumption. It's always better, but not always possible to meet with the different tradesmen prior to starting, and you should get a feel for them.

You could buy the plasterer/tiler a tape measure as a parting gift :thumbsup:

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The builder is a disgrace , how dare he imply that tiling isn't a dedicated trade , the blokes a pillock and deserves all he gets.
The tiling is the icing on the cake and gives any project the look people are after , it is the face of the job.
Needs to be done properly though , cos a bad job can be an absolute eyesore

O

Old Mod

The builder is a disgrace , how dare he imply that tiling isn't a dedicated trade , the blokes a pillock and deserves all he gets.
The tiling is the icing on the cake and gives any project the look people are after , it is the face of the job.
Needs to be done properly though , cos a bad job can be an absolute eyesore
We know :D:p

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Did you see the plasterer use a notched trowel when fixing tiles or just put blobs of adhesive on floor to fix and level?

R

Reggiethethird

So I'm pretty sure the grout on the reinstalled tiles is dry now and it appears to be a completely different colour even though it's exactly the same porcelanosa product. I spoke to porcelanosa and they said if he used a dirty or contaminated mixing bucket this could change the colour. My guess is he used the same bucket he used for the adhesive. This is after 24 hours of drying, I'm just hoping it gets lighter to match the rest of the grout. Right now we have a lovely two tone floor. You couldn't make this up!

IMG_20170902_132906.jpg

Reply to Has an expert done this job? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks