Discuss Has an expert done this job? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Reggiethethird

First post on this forum and unfortunately its not under good circumstances.

We have built what we had hoped would be our dream kitchen. One integral part of this is the ceramic floor from porcelanosa. These are large squares 60cm X 60cm. We used the branded adhesive and grout.

Our building contractor offered to lay them and agreed to match the rate we quoted by a tiler, this made sense to us as they built the room and laid the floor. We had stupidly assumed he had a tiler working for his firm. When we questioned the expertise following the job which we were not happy with he said 'in the building trade there is no real dedicated tilers, typically they also have another trade like brick laying or plastering'. Turns out our 'tiler' is actually a plasterer. Anyway, he is now back to rectify a job he still sees nothing wrong with. I'll list what we see as problem areas, and maybe you can tell me if you think we are being too critical. Pictures to accompany comments below.
1. Grout lines made with 3mm spacers but actual grout is closer to 4-5mm.
2. Many tiles are not laid square with each other
3. Varying width of grout lines
4. Tiles cut (badly) around architraves. Apparently this is how he's done it for 30 years and never has he been asked to cut the architraves.
5. Tiles not laid out correctly, leaving big gaps at the wall that skirting won't even cover.
6. Twice the amount of recommended adhesive was used, porcelanosa suggest this because the tiler was using it to level the floor as he went.

We feel really awkward questioning an expert and telling him how to do his job, the contractor has agreed to rectify and today it's taken the same chap a day just to get the problem tiles up. The issue is he seems to be making a bigger mess as he goes along, breaking and chipping tiles etc. The one architrave he has cut has nearly a 1cm gap between the wood and the tile! I'm tempted to rip it up and start again but we have just had our bespoke kitchen installed. All in all a mess.

IMG_20170831_191415.jpg IMG_20170831_191358.jpg IMG_20170831_191434.jpg IMG_20170825_181410.jpg IMG_20170825_181404.jpg IMG_20170825_170420.jpg IMG_20170825_170308.jpg IMG_20170825_170409.jpg IMG_20170825_170359.jpg

D

Dumbo

Yes is the answer to your question but an expert plasterer . But in all fairness as regards adhesive some places do undersell the amount required . Question is how many metres of tiles and how much adhesive did he use . No your not being fussy and is he now using a tiling expert or a plastering expert . I tile daily I don't like to call myself an expert but I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert plasterer I would probably be as a good at that as he is tiling .

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
he needs to set out the floor correctly so you don't get any "slither" cuts that look unsightly. plus the architrave cuts are outrageous. you really must insist on a professional tiler to do your dream kitchen justice. 60 x 60 may also need an uncoupling membrane? I would.

R

Reggiethethird

Yes is the answer to your question but an expert plasterer . But in all fairness as regards adhesive some places do undersell the amount required . Question is how many metres of tiles and how much adhesive did he use . No your not being fussy and is he now using a tiling expert or a plastering expert . I tile daily I don't like to call myself an expert but I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert plasterer I would probably be as a good at that as he is tiling .
Cheers for the response, he is using the same guy that laid them to rectify them which is even more awkward as he swears blind he's done a good job, he's actually brining in a joiner tomorrow to cut the architraves, so he's clearly never done this before. I've never laid a tile in my life but even I could work out the best way to tile around a door is to cut the bottom of the architrave and slide the tile underneath.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oh dear, builders pretending to be tilers!!! Of course there are 'dedicated' tilers and not just fillers-in between brickying or plastering jobs,never heard so much trash in all my life.

You can tell that this guy has never set a room out correctly in all his '30 years' by the slithers around the edge of the room. Looks like he has started one end of the room without knowing what size tile would be required when he gets to the other side!!!

I suspect the tiles have been dot and dabbed so there shouldn't be much problem lifting them, in fact give it a few weeks/months and they'll probably start lifting on their own.

In essence the whole lot needs to come up at his expense and fixed properly even if he has to employ a tiler, who may have a few days spare (that's if he's not plastering).

It's a costly mistake but you really should do your homework prior to letting people work in your house.

O

Old Mod

You shouldn't worry about questioning an expert, because you haven't met one yet.
As John above says, it's totally shocking and totally condemnable.
I bet the builder was ecstatic about accepting the price from a pro tiler, he probably paid the plasterer a fraction of the amount agreed.
Looking at that floor, I don't think I'd actually like to see his plastering either.
If he had pride in his own work, he certainly wouldn't have given you a job like that.
And to be honest, unless he's a general Multitrader, any tradesman does not do another tradesmans work. They don't have to, they have enough to do already, and they wouldn't bother themselves with someone else's work.

F

Flintstone

As above really. With regards to the quantities, I don't know the area or how much adhesive you bought but I would expect to use 1 x 20kg bag per 3m of tiles. My best advice would be to get them all up and get a reputable tiler in to give you the job you really want, as this builder is not going to give you that

O

One Day

In my experience with Porcelanosa in warrington and manchester, they were always a bit lean on the adhesive but supplied enough grout for 10mm joints!

T

Tommythetiler80

Yes this is bad and I hope that this chap fixes what tiles he has done wrong. But maybe a picture of the kitchen floor panned out may not look too bad? And it may be a handful of tiles that need refining...........nevertheless it's your dream kitchen so I hope you get this resolved

D

Dumbo

Cheers for the response, he is using the same guy that laid them to rectify them which is even more awkward as he swears blind he's done a good job, he's actually brining in a joiner tomorrow to cut the architraves, so he's clearly never done this before. I've never laid a tile in my life but even I could work out the best way to tile around a door is to cut the bottom of the architrave and slide the tile underneath.
I think in that paragraph the only relevant word there is blind

Reply to Has an expert done this job? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks