Discuss I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

My dog's called Trevor

Hi all
Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling **** up. Basically I'm wondering how far I should be pushing my builder to put things right. I've had porcelain floor tiles laid dot-and-dab (sorry, you must all be so bored of that topic) over under-floor heating and am now nearing a dispute of whether several grands' worth of back-pedaling is needed to put the job right.
Bit of background on me on this sort of stuff. Not a pro in the building trade but not blowing my trumpet to say I'm pretty handy on most things around the house - basic repairs, medium size building work, plumbing, electrics, tiling, papering, plastering, and servicing the car until the things became so complicated that you don't recognise anything under the bonnet anymore. My missus says I'm a bit of a perfectionist but I just want to get things right as I don't like the idea of being a DIY botch merchant. Not the fastest in the world but I err on the safe side, ask when I don't know, and am prepared to rip it out and go back to the start when I've got it wrong - which as the years and experience go by is pleasingly rare. Big projects (loft conversion, extension, new central heating) I've had people in (time, effort, feeling older these days). I've had guys I've sacked off jobs when I know I could've done it better and guys I've just been blown away by. This is just to set the scene that I am not completely ignorant when talking to builders etc (relevance apparent later) and not prone to knocking tradesmen just for the sake of it.
Background on the mess I'm in now. Job was a kitchen extension - side return and old lean-to plus a few bits in the neighbouring utility room. Floor for old kitchen was and remains suspended timber, new floor to the side and end of this is concrete. Good job from the builder structurally, really good, would have him back but only for building. Part of the job price was laying the electric (loose cable) UFH and tiling the floor.
In December he laid the UFH cable then the tiles dot-and-dab. Looks like UFH absolutely beyond a doubt has to be laid in a bed (no previous personal experience). For the tiling, I have laid three floors - the old kitchen area twice and the utility room once. All three needed a power breaker to get them up. I'm not an expert but I know if getting them up doesn't break them, they weren't laid right. All mine were a sod to get up. I queried dot-and-dab method with the builder. Told me it'd be fine, done-loads-like-this-and-never-had-a-problem, plus floor not level etc. Apparently self-leveling compound wouldn't have been an option (?). Instinctively UFH cables surrounded by air struck me as pretty effective insulation (think secondary glazing, layers of clothes when it's cold) but he had some interesting ideas on hot air rising to the tiles that didn't really fit with my understanding of physics (I have a scientific background). Against better judgement and with time-constraints I was reassured that if there were any problems he would put them right. To be fair, he hasn't deserted yet.
Kitchen was then fitted on the floor - units along three walls with and an island. Stone work surfaces on top. Wasn't crazy money but far from the cheaper end of the market (that's my missus).
Floor was basically alright to begin with except that it sounded like walking on a xylophone with the different note of each tile with a void underneath. Then a tile started to knock when you stepped on where a dot was coming loose underneath, then another did it and so on.
To his credit he came round to look at it. I managed to dissuade him from his plan of drilling small holes around the edges of tiles and squirting in expanding foam to fill the void and adhere the tile. For me the insulation properties of the foam seemed a bad plan for UFH, and I wasn't convinced it would work anyway and managed to dissuade him on the lines of the possibility of hitting an UFH cable.
After some chats we agreed to try and get up some of the loose tiles. I offered to do that with him. After taking up a few it was apparent that it was only the grout keeping the tiles there. After cutting through the grout each tile lifted easily. Hardly a blob of adhesive has been left on the back of any tile - they look straight out of the shop (turns out he's not sure for certain what adhesive he used).
We just did a couple to start and I indulged him in his experiment to lay one by filing the void with expanding foam with Gripfill on the remaining adhesive dobs. Great experiment. It holds pretty well (but still sounds hollow) but the UFH beautifully heats where the dots are and the rest of the tile stays cold until the heat conducts through the tile. For anyone who lays UFH I'd be happy to chit-chat on some of what I'm seeing that absolutely confirms manufacturers' fitting instructions - except it should all be pretty obvious, it's a bit like bothering actually to test jumping from a plane without a parachute (never formally tested but we all know the result).
We agreed to lift all those that we could without disturbing the kitchen units and did so without damaging the UFH (they come up that easily).
There is/was a plan to remove some of the dots for each tile, leaving a dot at each corner so that a bed of adhesive could be laid in the remaining space but with the dot keeping the level for relaying with Gripfill on top of the old dots to hold the tile at those points. For tiles not lifted because they extend under kitchen units' end panels, they've have expanding foam squirted under (no UFH there) to fill the void, then as much adhesive pushed under as can be achieved, to hold the edge .
Last night after many hours of dissecting dots and dabs away from UFH cable and off the foam insulation tile backer boards stuck to the sub-floor, I started to lose it. In parts of the floor, the insulation is tearing badly and where foam has been squirted under less-accessible tiles, I can't hear a difference when I knock on them. Some of the dots that are due to have Gripfill on them knock against the floor beneath so, presumably lifting the tiles, however easy, is disturbing the adhesion between the sub-floor and the insulation boards. Gripfill on these dots is always going to knock unless by luck it gets held by enough adhesive around it.
This is about where I lost it. None of this is right. I'm looking at hours of work, much of which I have offered to do (not fundamentally opposed to that), in which I have decreasing confidence of an effective, long term outcome, for which I paid and questioned when it was in progress.
That was a long preamble but here is my dilemma. I am increasingly coming to the view that there is no way to get it right than to go back to where things started to go wrong. To do that I can't see a way other than dismantling the installed kitchen, getting the tiles up, leveling the floor (might include grinding off adhesive for the insulation boards), then UFH with insulation, tiling the floor and reinstalling the kitchen. I have suggested this but it is understandably not well received. I have indulged/am still indulging in his suggestions of how to right things but I'm wondering if this is just pissing in the wind.
I do get my builder's reluctance. Shifting the kitchen will need to shift the stone work tops. It's likely these will break (cut for cookers, sink etc). I'd not be surprised that getting back to a floor that can be done properly will cost 2-3 grand for kitchen dis-assembly/assembly, 2 grand for work tops if they can't be saved, couple of hundred for insulation board, and around 700 for UFH cable. I'm not worried on a grand's worth of tiles - they're a doddle to get up as nothing's holding them. I get the costs involved of going right back to get it right but I'm looking at around 25k of units and kitchen machines, in a project that cost around 70-80k. Without fitting (which was in the price), the UFH and tiles come to less than 2k - which bit would I want to save?
What thoughts from the trade? How much more should we try foam, pushing in proper adhesive, prayer, pixie dust? When is it reasonable to draw a line and say that we go back to where the wrong turn was taken, whatever the costs? Who should incur those costs? Am I being unreasonable or unreasonably fussy? Despite the numbers above, I'm not loaded - I took out a mortgage to do this and I'll be paying it forever.
Finally if anyone's got a great idea, I'm all ears.
Thanks if you bothered to read this far
Regards
Matt

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Hi matt.

Thank you for such an informative post. Again...dot n Dab is rearing is ugly head.

Its quite late now and I've just woke up however I thought I would reply with a few sentences as I can picture you still awake and tearing ones hair out.

The floor is running over two substrates. One wood, one concrete. Can you tell us what he used as a substrate to tile on and if he has put and expansion joint in?in across the two substrates?

I feel I could ask many other questions but the answer you are looking for is that it needs ripped out and redone correctly as you will just have constant issues further down the line. That is my opinion.

Dropping anything into the weak spots will crack tiles and your Underfloor heating will not run efficiently.

Saving the tiles may have been an option before the extra methods were undertaken...you may be able to but that would be a job for yourself... Paying a tiler to do it would not be worth it financially.

I wish you good luck. Im sure there will be more replies throughout the morning and be safe in the knowledge you have come to the right place for help

D

Dougs Third Go

as cam suggested, an expansion joint between the different substrates should have been used,,ufh laid and then slc'ed, (I'd like to know the builders reasoning as to why this wasn't possible).The slc encapsulates the ufh and stops any heated air pockets building up and all the inherent expansion problems that follow, ditto dot and dab, air pockets will heat up and expand, popping the tiles. Grip fill and expanding foam will never cure this, (or prayers and pixie dust). I don't want to sound negative but the only way I see a satisfactory outcome is the worst case scenario for yourself and your builder which is to completely restart the project :(

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
First mistake you made was getting a builder to do your tiling.
We get many posts on here where builder's have d/b tiles and they always say... done it this way for years ....never had a problem.
What it really comes down to is they have no idea how to prep a floor for tiling ...throw in ufh, and wooden substrates and you have a recipe for disaster.
Pumping expanding foam and grip fill under the floor is nothing short of ridiculous
I think you all ready know what your options are.....it needs to come up and start again salvaging what you can.
Btw is the wooden floor a floating floor?

M

My dog's called Trevor

Hi matt.

Thank you for such an informative post. Again...dot n Dab is rearing is ugly head.

Its quite late now and I've just woke up however I thought I would reply with a few sentences as I can picture you still awake and tearing ones hair out.

The floor is running over two substrates. One wood, one concrete. Can you tell us what he used as a substrate to tile on and if he has put and expansion joint in?in across the two substrates?

I feel I could ask many other questions but the answer you are looking for is that it needs ripped out and redone correctly as you will just have constant issues further down the line. That is my opinion.

Dropping anything into the weak spots will crack tiles and your Underfloor heating will not run efficiently.

Saving the tiles may have been an option before the extra methods were undertaken...you may be able to but that would be a job for yourself... Paying a tiler to do it would not be worth it financially.

I wish you good luck. Im sure there will be more replies throughout the morning and be safe in the knowledge you have come to the right place for help

as cam suggested, an expansion joint between the different substrates should have been used,,ufh laid and then slc'ed, (I'd like to know the builders reasoning as to why this wasn't possible).The slc encapsulates the ufh and stops any heated air pockets building up and all the inherent expansion problems that follow, ditto dot and dab, air pockets will heat up and expand, popping the tiles. Grip fill and expanding foam will never cure this, (or prayers and pixie dust). I don't want to sound negative but the only way I see a satisfactory outcome is the worst case scenario for yourself and your builder which is to completely restart the project :(
First mistake you made was getting a builder to do your tiling.
We get many posts on here where builder's have d/b tiles and they always say... done it this way for years ....never had a problem.
What it really comes down to is they have no idea how to prep a floor for tiling ...throw in ufh, and wooden substrates and you have a recipe for disaster.
Pumping expanding foam and grip fill under the floor is nothing short of ridiculous
I think you all ready know what your options are.....it needs to come up and start again salvaging what you can.
Btw is the wooden floor a floating floor?

Andy, Doug, Cam
Many thanks for your comments, interest, and time to respond. Hope it's ok to respond to all together.
To my knowledge there isn't an expansion joint between the old timber floor and the concrete.
The old wooden floor is one inch chip or ply (can't remember) screwed to the joists with reinforcing batons every so often and between the free edges of the joists at what was the old outside wall. Beneath the joists, from memory are supporting timbers running at 90 degrees which rest on brick footings which I presume go some way into the soil - typical Edwardian terrace. I know this because I laid the board over 10 years ago, tiled over it and, other than the slightly hollow sound you would expect when the floor isn't concrete, the whole assembly was sound and as good as new when it was taken up. The builder was happy that it was still sound after raising the old tiles.
Above that I think it's just tile adhesive bonding the insulation boards to the floor then the heating cable surrounded by loads of air except for where there are dots and dabs of what is supposed to be tile adhesive but hasn't stuck to my tiles.
I get the point on the builder doing the tiling. It's difficult to know at the start of a project which bits someone is going to do themselves and which they'll lay off to someone else. If a guy's building the thing ok and says he'll tile the floor, you kind of go with him as there's no obvious reason to object or insist on getting someone else in.
I guess what I was asking, and what is being answered by you guys, is at what point do I draw the line. I wasn't confident after he'd laid the floor with d+d as I wouldn't have done that. Like I say, in no way an expert but three out of three floors I've done were spot on and lasted the test of time. Difficult when someone with more experience says their method is just as good and guarantees they'll fix things if they're proved wrong. On the UFH, I have zero experience and hadn't researched it (unlike me, that) and the not unreasonable mistake here is assuming that the guy you're paying knows what he's doing. The lack of solid material around the cable bugged me from the start and led me to query the method (one company actually talks about squeezing the air out from around the tape holding the cable down). Again, the promise that it would be fixed if it failed.
He has tried to do that but the suggestions have rung increasingly loud alarm bells for me. I've suggested taking the kitchen out to do it properly but so far he's saying (quote) that's a no-no. For me the no-no will be tiles lifting in 3 or 4 years time when he's moved to Australia or had a stroke or something, the tiles are out of production, a kitchen panel gets damaged redoing the job and hearing that they're not made anymore either. Then I'm looking at 20-odd grand by today's prices to put it right. If it's got to come out, I'd sooner that happened now.
I feel for the guy who I expect is thinking 'Oh my God, what have I done?' because that's what I'd be thinking if I'd done this. We've all made **** ups but this one really wasn't mine, especially as I raised concerns before - believe me there's no joy or pride in 'told you so' on this. I think I've been pretty patient and cooperative and indulged in his attempts to rectify things.
Sunday night I reckoned it was time to call it a day and grasp the nettle of what seems to be the least favourable option in the short term. Just wanted to see what others thought and whether there were other solutions (of course there aren't - stupid). Doesn't sound like there's wholesale disagreement with my suggestion.
Thanks again all, much appreciated
Matt

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As above. I can't add to that.

Underfloor heating needs to be encased to disperse the heat and not overheat the cable. That's borderline dangerous. I wouldn't use it. @Uheat - Keith may confirm?

Tiles all need to come up. Heating needs to be relayed over the two floors separately. It can't go over the expansion joint; which needs to be installed.

May salvage insulation if that's been fitted correctly and not dot and dabbed. Salvage the cable. And maybe the tiles.

So then it's adhesive, grout, self levelling compound that you need to buy. A tile shop might take pitty and give you trade. I wouldn't let a builder refit it. They need to employ a tiler.

There's no such trade as 'building' builders are the term for house builders as a collective but they're actually brick layers, window fitters, roofers, scaffolders, electricians etc etc

If a guy calls himself a bulder he's a glorified handyman. Jack of all trades, master of non.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could you not leave the kitchen in?
If its tiled underneath take the plinths off, take tiles out as far as you can go, propping the legs up with a support as you go , SLC all the floor and re tile ?
If im reading it wrong im sorry, ive just rushed through reading it waiting around for grout to set :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't spot that bit. Leave the dodgy tiling under the kitchen. I assume Ufh isn't under that. Pull the other tiles up.

Although a long scraper will get those up quite easily I'm sure.

M

My dog's called Trevor

Yeah I didn't spot that bit. Leave the dodgy tiling under the kitchen. I assume Ufh isn't under that. Pull the other tiles up.

Although a long scraper will get those up quite easily I'm sure.

Thanks Dan and Widler
All good advice. Not trying to knock down ideas before giving them a chance but have looked at this option and difficult to see how it could be done.
No UFH under units. The tiles only come up once the grout's cut (not bad stuff - wish he'd used it under the tiles). After that it doesn't need a scraper - a mouse fart in the right direction will lift it. But wouldn't be able to get to the grout far enough under.
They're fairly large 600x600 tiles so they reach a long way under the units. Thought about cutting them just beyond the plinths but don't think I'd get a grinder under there. Plus there are end panels. They're screwed to the carcasses from the inside but stone tops might be stuck to them. Biggest problem is the island which weighs a ton. Having large tiles means the island sits on two rows of tiles with a lot of tile extending beyond the island into the walkable floor space.
Despite all this, worth considering again.
Thanks again for your thoughts
Matt

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd imagine if you managed to get the grout out on the last tile that you can reach, and pull all the tiles up in the main area, that the ones under the units might come up in one sheet if you can get enough leverage on them. If they're not stuck down well at all, and the grout is holding them, you might have a chance and getting them up in a huge sheet maybe?

I don't suppose you have a few pictures for us to take a look at?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Give it a go matt, owts better than costing you money, i doubt the builder will wanna cough up 20 grand to rip out, he will probably rather go under :(
Theres always a way , well most of the time ;)

M

My dog's called Trevor

I'd imagine if you managed to get the grout out on the last tile that you can reach, and pull all the tiles up in the main area, that the ones under the units might come up in one sheet if you can get enough leverage on them. If they're not stuck down well at all, and the grout is holding them, you might have a chance and getting them up in a huge sheet maybe?

I don't suppose you have a few pictures for us to take a look at?

Thanks Dan
A thought certainly and not much to lose.
I guess I'm being a bit mean to the guy if I don't pursue all options before going for the big one. Well, reasonable options at any rate. No one commenting here thinks glueing to the dots is a goer and I don't know if he's got other little gems up his sleeve - maybe injecting jam or getting a troop of trained squirrels to go under the floor and hang little weights from the bottom of the tiles to keep them down.
Just feel things have reached a point of principle whereby there's now an obligation to stop compromising and do it right. Seems to be the general consensus here but suggestions like yours genuinely gratefully received.
Can post some photos later this evening when I'm home.
Thanks to all for your help. Much appreciated
Matt

M

My dog's called Trevor

Give it a go matt, owts better than costing you money, i doubt the builder will wanna cough up 20 grand to rip out, he will probably rather go under :(
Theres always a way , well most of the time ;)

Love your optimism. Not sure I share it entirely but I guess you're right. If he does go under I'll make sure it's under my bloody floor
Cheers

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
To be frank you are at the point where he has injected the jam, buttered his bed and will have to lay on it.

I would be taking legal advice. The whole job needs ripped out and redone. I know people say where there is a will there is a way but if they are being honest, the time, stress and hassle it is going to cause you will in now way compensate you in the long run for bodging it up and leaving a horrible memory.

This country is ruined by builders who get away with this. If he gets made homeless through going 'bankrupt' then lets hope he gets fined for sleeping on the streets however I suspect he wont, he will just start up again under a different trading name.

Get an email over to DOM !!! catch this slippery sausage out before he does a nash.

Reply to I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks