Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wet UFH & Quartz White Mirror - All Installed in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

UK Tiling Advice Thread
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a local supplier.

We then opted to have a wet UFH system installed into the existing concrete floor, with channel grinded out and pipes laid, a manifold was installed with thermostats for the 2 rooms.

Knee deep, when the tiler turned up he mentioned of issues with UFH and quartz, at this point there was no turning back. But I took some steps to help minimize an issue.

We used TP's Excel Bond Super-Flex S2 adhesive, tiler was shocked at the price I paid and said he would only use bags half the cost.

We allowed the adhesive and tiles to set for 4 weeks, and couple days ago, I started the commissioning process, starting at 20c at the manifold TRV.

24 hours later turned this 25c, 36 hours later upped it to 30c.

Now I'm planning to decrease it over same period back to 20c, and found between 25-30c provides the warmth we wanted.

Is there anyone other thing we should be doing to minimize the risk to the quartz tiles from the UFH?

I don't plan ever going to above 30c at the manifold.

Thanks in advance!

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Time only tells. I thought the quarts will bend from heath. Hope yours will not. Quartz comes in different qualities. Find out what category quartz you purchased from the store. Usually stores sells good stuff.
Quartz is man-made in factory tile, the quartz resin mixture is as follows: 30% resin to 70% quartz, 50% 50% and 70% 30%. The last one is the worst quality.

About 10 years back I've done a small bathroom floor quartz job for a friend of mine, he bought the tiles dirt cheap online. I had a feeling its the cheap quartz he got. Overnight the entire floor, every single tile curved up from moist/heath.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a local supplier.

We then opted to have a wet UFH system installed into the existing concrete floor, with channel grinded out and pipes laid, a manifold was installed with thermostats for the 2 rooms.

Knee deep, when the tiler turned up he mentioned of issues with UFH and quartz, at this point there was no turning back. But I took some steps to help minimize an issue.

We used TP's Excel Bond Super-Flex S2 adhesive, tiler was shocked at the price I paid and said he would only use bags half the cost.

We allowed the adhesive and tiles to set for 4 weeks, and couple days ago, I started the commissioning process, starting at 20c at the manifold TRV.

24 hours later turned this 25c, 36 hours later upped it to 30c.

Now I'm planning to decrease it over same period back to 20c, and found between 25-30c provides the warmth we wanted.

Is there anyone other thing we should be doing to minimize the risk to the quartz tiles from the UFH?

I don't plan ever going to above 30c at the manifold.

Thanks in advance!
Are you in Astralia or UK matey?

Reaction score
Time only tells. I thought the quarts will bend from heath. Hope yours will not. Quartz comes in different qualities. Find out what category quartz you purchased from the store. Usually stores sells good stuff.
Quartz is man-made in factory tile, the quartz resin mixture is as follows: 30% resin to 70% quartz, 50% 50% and 70% 30%. The last one is the worst quality.

About 10 years back I've done a small bathroom floor quartz job for a friend of mine, he bought the tiles dirt cheap online. I had a feeling its the cheap quartz he got. Overnight the entire floor, every single tile curved up from moist.
Thanks, I'll find out from the store, it's not a national chain but a family run tiles shop.

When the tiler expressed his concerns I rang the shop and the owner said nothing to worry about and he's had a few customers install with UFH with no issues as long as the right adhesive is used and time is allowed for it to cure.

Reply to Wet UFH & Quartz White Mirror - All Installed in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks