Discuss I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

My dog's called Trevor

I would be advising on using a heating system like that of ditra heat-e or the new thermonet similar system, I would also use a grout colour matching silicone for the joint, hopefully you can set the tiles out along that line to keep full tiles.

Many thanks Cam
Will look into those systems. Depending on how straight and square in the corner the old wood floor is, it might be possible to line them at the joint
Thanks again
Matt

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd go with the expansion joint and also don't cross cable over the joint. Run the two mats / cables to a junction box (only have cold cable not in the adhesive) and then from the JB to the thermostat. Might need advice from a sparky about that. We have a sparky forum. Link in my sig'.

You don't want the hot cable spanning two different substrates.

If also not wing it by avoiding an expansion. You've done all the winging it that you can on this one.

The matting on US sites might be uncoupling membrane. Dural C++ or Ditra are two brand names.

M

My dog's called Trevor

Could do with some good photos of the floor , but if you have some decent photos of women in bikini's thats always welcome :):bikini:

Thanks Widler
Could pull the cardboard up tonight and get some pics. Think it's not going to show the joint as it's got the insulation board down. Basically just going to show the glorious extent of the dot and dab and uncovered UFH cable - but I expect that's worth it to give everyone a chuckle.
On women in bikinis, will this do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 29
M

My dog's called Trevor

I'd go with the expansion joint and also don't cross cable over the joint. Run the two mats / cables to a junction box (only have cold cable not in the adhesive) and then from the JB to the thermostat. Might need advice from a sparky about that. We have a sparky forum. Link in my sig'.

You don't want the hot cable spanning two different substrates.

If also not wing it by avoiding an expansion. You've done all the winging it that you can on this one.

The matting on US sites might be uncoupling membrane. Dural C++ or Ditra are two brand names.

Thanks Dan
Really helpful
Matt

M

My dog's called Trevor

Thanks Widler
Could pull the cardboard up tonight and get some pics. Think it's not going to show the joint as it's got the insulation board down. Basically just going to show the glorious extent of the dot and dab and uncovered UFH cable - but I expect that's worth it to give everyone a chuckle.
On women in bikinis, will this do?

Amazing the 'Likes' just for a photo of some semi-naked fat birds.

Reaction score
reading this thread while a lull in punters on a Saturday morning......

OMG.......

Builder is obviously used to laying patio slabs not tiles, i feel so sorry for you Matt.

When you purchased the tiles, didnt you get advise from the tile shop?

M

My dog's called Trevor

reading this thread while a lull in punters on a Saturday morning......

OMG.......

Builder is obviously used to laying patio slabs not tiles, i feel so sorry for you Matt.

When you purchased the tiles, didnt you get advise from the tile shop?

Thanks Lee
Not surprised there's another opinion that concurs.
On the shop, not really as we had assurances from a guy who said he'd do the work and guarantee it. Sort of figure people know what they're doing and at the time with work he'd already done, had no reason to doubt him.
Then the work is done before we got a chance to spot what was happening. When queried the guarantee to put it right if it failed as repeated. That's where we are now. At least he hasn't legged it - yet.
On his way now. Will update the decision if we agree one.
Thanks again
Matt

M

My dog's called Trevor

Me too, can't wait, nowt but ***** on the tele anyhow
waiting on tenterhooks here !

Well, gentlemen, what can I say? Thought I might as well wait until the football starts to test your patience and reslove.
I must say it could all have gone much worse. Overall all major objectives achieved. First off, it's coming up, around the units if it all possible. UFH coming up. Insulation up.Up, up, up. It's all coming up. Really difficult, this, for a builder - first thing they say is 'All that's got to come down'. Fantastic achievement in itself in general to reverse the vertical direction, and specific to my problems to reverse the direction of thinking from madness to sanity.
Tricky half hour on screeding over the existing dobs, insulation and cable but got through this pointing out that in areas nothing seems to be stuck to anything practically all the way to the centre of the earth. So, hack back to old timber/concrete first of all. Then a plan of genius simplicity. It seems if you get the floor flat first (and seemingly there are all manner of proprietary products with which to achieve such a feat) progress can really only then be impeded by taking no care whatsoever. I think I used to know that anyway but sometimes things slip your mind, I suppose.
Of course all of this is as of yet but talk. The proof will be in the pudding (reassuringly now a metaphor rather than a suggested tile adhesive substance).
As before, to be fair to the guy, he listened to what I said I wanted, said that that is what we would do and that he just wanted us to be happy with the job. As much as he's driven me nuts over a number of things, he's not bad guy.
Not sure I could have had the same conversation with him without all the contributions of the last week so I remain extremely grateful.
Thanks all, but not necessarily signing off for good
Matt

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Football pfffttfft rather watch grout set .
As for your job, i hope all well matt, your patience is to be commended :sunglasses:

Reply to I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks