Discuss Poor tiling need advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Indi

TF
Reaction score
Hi people

I'm in desperate need of advice

So my builder who I let go due to poor work has made a absolute shambles of tiling work he done .

Floor tiles in the kitchen he firstly laid a tile backer board on top of my floorboards. He only screwed the board down to the floor with washers . I know your meant to also use adhesive for this board which he didn't use . He laid 600x600 porcelain tiles . Know the tiles in certain places when you walk on the floor you hear a crack noise .

Taking the floor up and redoing it will be difficult as he has tiled the entire floor and installed my kitchen on top .

I have noticed the grout seems quite crumbly

I have heard of tile a fix has anyone ever used this ????

Or any other options I have?

The wall tiles are just as bad in the toilet on one wall he used spacers on the second wall he didn't as the lines wouldn't match up so he butted the tiles together

Attachments

• IMG-20240318-WA0010.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20240318_190107157.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 71

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few jobs similar to yours some years back where the grout was cracking, and the tiles were squeaking while walking on them.
The cause to that is the bouncing floor/subfloor and poor tile installation.
I have used Fix a Floor on several occasions. It is used on small areas, and it is very expensive.

If you have before/after pictures would help.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi people

I'm in desperate need of advice

So my builder who I let go due to poor work has made a absolute shambles of tiling work he done .

Floor tiles in the kitchen he firstly laid a tile backer board on top of my floorboards. He only screwed the board down to the floor with washers . I know your meant to also use adhesive for this board which he didn't use . He laid 600x600 porcelain tiles . Know the tiles in certain places when you walk on the floor you hear a crack noise .

Taking the floor up and redoing it will be difficult as he has tiled the entire floor and installed my kitchen on top .

I have noticed the grout seems quite crumbly

I have heard of tile a fix has anyone ever used this ????

Or any other options I have?

The wall tiles are just as bad in the toilet on one wall he used spacers on the second wall he didn't as the lines wouldn't match up so he butted the tiles together
The installer needed to start with half a tile from the worktop and he would have had a nice big half of a tile under the window then sitting flush with the heigh side.

Reply to Poor tiling need advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks