Discuss I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

My dog's called Trevor

Personally I wouldn't let him redo it. He's not skilled in that field. End of.

Not sure how to address that to him mind if i were you.

Perhaps with some guidance he can do the job properly?! Maybe? Not sure.
Honestly, why can't all customers be like you , you lot are like rocking horse poo, very rare indeed :)

Ah, gee. Don't be sill
Honestly, why can't all customers be like you , you lot are like rocking horse poo, very rare indeed :)

Ah, bless. Too kind

M

My dog's called Trevor

What's his view on it now?

Hi Dan
Guess you mean the builder. Don't know, haven't spoken to him but with the collective opinion I've got now I know which way is safe to try and steer the conversation. It's all the floor up with or without kitchen out, pros and cons to be discussed with him. It's a few bits I haven't bored you guys with (Christ knows you've read through enough of my crap) about how that's going to be done. It's foot down on chuck the UFH cable and get new - I'm not picking hundreds of blobs of cement off it. Same for insulation unless it's easily salvaged. Those bits not for negotiation. If he's still there after that we'll chat on who's going to do it (but with the clear caveat that it's done right) and who is going to cop for the costs incurred. If push comes to shove it'll be worth sweetening the deal with at least a token gesture on that - might be a few bob well spent in the long run. No sense shooting yourself in the foot however much your principles urge you to do otherwise. Above all I'm in a position to ask if he really wants to take the whole thing to independent opinion, whether for a legal process or otherwise.
He's coming Saturday for the next installment of cunning ideas to fix his bomb site. Think this time we're going to sew the tiles down with very, very fine thread. Or grass and a strimmer for that all-year-round al fresco feel (small pond in the corner, little windmill and a couple of gnomes). Or something. Will drop him a line before to tell him it's time to start making sense.
Promised you some pics tonight but the down side of the last couple of days is I'm massively behind on work - gets a bit addictive especially when everyone's talking about your stuff. Appreciate your interest, really, but going to have to blow you out on that tonight. Sorry, feel bad when people are being so helpful. If I get a chance I'll send some but it's all going to be down to what whoever does it thinks can be done - as long as it comes up where it needs to.
Need to pick some brains on the expansion joint business before the weekend but tonight going to let a lot of people down at work if I don't get off this site.
Thanks again to you and everyone
Matt

M

My dog's called Trevor

Admit it Matt u just like it here! :)

Well you must be right 3_fall as I'm back for more.
Anyone got any thoughts on an expansion joint between the timber floor and the concrete slab? The dimensions in

M

My dog's called Trevor

Well you must be right 3_fall as I'm back for more.
Anyone got any thoughts on an expansion joint between the timber floor and the concrete slab? The dimensions in

Sorry. Keep hitting the post button when I do this on my phone.
Is the expansion joint a bit of a recommendation or is it like whether you should have oil in your gearbox? I've dipped into the BS 5385 (not bought one for that price - costs more than a Gutenberg Bible). Does reckon you should have one when spanning different surfaces but I bet there're loads of jobs like mine where there isn't one. Looks like the joint would need to be at tile level although I've seen some US sites talking about something that goes over the joint to prevent cracking.
Reckon it will need discussing with the builder tomorrow
Thanks all
Matt

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I would be advising on using a heating system like that of ditra heat-e or the new thermonet similar system, I would also use a grout colour matching silicone for the joint, hopefully you can set the tiles out along that line to keep full tiles.

Reply to I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks