Search the forum,

Discuss I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

My dog's called Trevor

Did'nt think any insurance would cover for bad workmanship....
Found myself saying " oh my god!" Looking at the pics. You have been extremely patient with this guy. You seem a great customer, but there is only one way to sort this , that is to rip it all out and start again. The builder should have public and professional insurance, you should be claiming on that to put this right.

Hope it all works out.

Thanks Chalker
A
I have professional indemnity insurance, this covers for workmanship. Hopefully he has, or you might have to sue him.
Either way, it's not your fault.
I have professional indemnity insurance, this covers for workmanship. Hopefully he has, or you might have to sue him.

Responses coming thick and fast and I haven't been able to keep up. Hard replying to everyone so thanks to those I've not responded to directly - Chalker, Whitebeam, Julian, 3 Fall as well as those who've I've responded to through the day.
Started this thread about 24 hours ago and Cam was responding at about 2am. Turned in now, bless him, and who could blame him?
Looking back at my original post I was after a bit of expert opinion on how hard to push for what was emerging for me as the only solution to what's happened. Quite clear I have that now. In a much stronger position to push for what needs to be done to get it right. I've got a pretty good idea of how things should go if it reaches deadlock and I have to say 'Shall we get a second opinion or two?' Think I've already got loads.
Don't get me wrong about this bloke. He's a nice guy, wouldn't do you over, and his construction stuff has been really good. He hasn't buggered off and wants to put this right. Obviously just out of his depth (Jesus, more than me, the DIY-er) on the floor. I do feel for him as he'll probably take a big hit. Best he doesn't touch a tile again and hits the books for UFH (or just reads the instructions maybe). Wish I had earlier as I'd never have allowed what's happened but I guess you shouldn't have to.
Doesn't seem much doubt that what I'd thought is what the trade thinks - although I'm still tempted to give the squirrels with their weights a go. Failing that, Doug's Ruby and Elvis are welcome to quote. My dog, Trevor, as you know, would be crap - just hasn't got the attention span and not a fan of the shiny tiles as he does Scooby Doo legs akimbo every time he legs it outside to chase the squirrels I so desperately need to advance floor tiling techniques to a new level.
So 24 hours on I've got the bit of background I felt I needed to try to move this forward. Very impressed with everyone's input - you guys are like tiling Samurai, defending wherever needed against tiling injustice. Great stuff, everyone, and hugely appreciated.
Don't really know the right salutation but may your grout always be the right consistency and your spacers true (sorry, too late to do better).
Seriously, really helpful day and you should all be proud that you've done quite a bit of restoring faith in tradesmen and people in general. Better not be anyone welling up or sniffing here - just not right.
Thanks so much again everyone
Regards
Matt
image.jpg

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Matt, I admire your patience. As has been said already, your builder has done a shockingly bad job, the worst I have seen. You also seem to know what needs to be done, a total rip-out ( at the builders expense). You have paid to have your floor tiled correctly, and that's what you should expect. His remedial works are getting more and more bizarre, and will never cure the huge problems that are clearly evident with your floor

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
View attachment 73114 View attachment 73115 View attachment 73116 View attachment 73118 View attachment 73119 View attachment 73121

Dan
Keen as mustard - love it
Sorry not long in then was being a bit dim loading the pictures.
As promised some pics - so embarrassed, no-one's tidied up!
First is the dot and dab and UFH cable for everyone's entertainment. Next two are really just cardboard over where the tiles are up. Just shows the extent of the job really - it's a 5m x 5m square with a passageway of one end. 4th is what I'm worried about with end panels which probably have stone stuck to them 5th is the end of the island. Last is showing a tile space with all but the corner dots lifted off the cable and insulation. The genius idea is tile adhesive in the larger space between the corner dots, ridged a bit then Gripfill on the dots. Adjacent tiles not lifted to have foam injected under then as much adhesive pushed under the edge as possible. You probably gathered I'm not crazy about this idea.
Enough said really
Thanks
Matt
I haven't studied them or read your post properly but just in case you're about still I wanted to quickly ask for a picture or two under the plinths.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
That's some bad do do.
All depending on your budget, and wether your builder would pay for it , if it was me I'd try and keep the kitchen in, every bloke on here has tiled a floor a with kitchen in , it is doable and certainally not a bodge job as long as its prepped right.
not the best pics but this was tiled with the island and kitchen in, granite work tops ect, and these were 1200x600 :)
image.jpg
image.jpg

M

My dog's called Trevor

Matt, I admire your patience. As has been said already, your builder has done a shockingly bad job, the worst I have seen. You also seem to know what needs to be done, a total rip-out ( at the builders expense). You have paid to have your floor tiled correctly, and that's what you should expect. His remedial works are getting more and more bizarre, and will never cure the huge problems that are clearly evident with your floor

Thanks
Another vote for s redo
Matt

M

My dog's called Trevor

That's some bad do do.
All depending on your budget, and wether your builder would pay for it , if it was me I'd try and keep the kitchen in, every bloke on here has tiled a floor a with kitchen in , it is doable and certainally not a bodge job as long as its prepped right.
not the best pics but this was tiled with the island and kitchen in, granite work tops ect, and these were 1200x600 :) View attachment 73128 View attachment 73129

I'm sure it's possible and less upheaval
Thanks

M

My dog's called Trevor

Im surprise your builder hasn't run a mile by now thats the normal reponse from them when things go belly up.
How do you think he's going to take your request to start again?
Does he admit he's dropped a massive boo boo or is he trying to blame other things to worm his way out..

Andy
He's admitted its been a **** up - sort of had to when the tiles started knocking. Staying a bit quiet on bare UFH cable.
A request to get it all up with kitchen out if needed will go down badly but I think he'll start to realise he's not really in a position to have an opinion. His options will be to comply, get another opinion (and then comply), or walk away in which case he'll need chasing.
Hasn't got a leg to stand on if he disputes the request. The adhesive used doesn't stick to porcelain. The stuff he thought he used says on the bag (I'm stood next to it) that floor tiles must be laid on a solid bed. The UHF instructions say level with SLC then solid bed. Any how to do it DIY website or a leaflet from B+Q tells you what's wrong here.Then there's all the opinions posted here.
Who'd carry on arguing? Hope he won't.
Cheers
Matt

Reply to I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen