Search the forum,

Discuss I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
matt, i think you better call saul. Im off to bed, this thread has had me up since 3am !! I had to reply. cant keep the eyes open now and have a massive finishing day tomorrow.

W

White Room

Odds 026.jpg Odds 027.jpg One I looked at in Collingdale

M

My dog's called Trevor

Sorry, but this whole **** up is down to the builder and his total lack of experience. No wonder he's saying its a no no to rip the lot out and start again, but we all know, as I suspect you do, that, that is wot is needed, and you won't be happy Until that happens.

The costs involved should be dealt by the builder, which as we all know could take some time, especially if it has/needs to go legal.

Thanks CJ
I figured this would be the general trade response. Logically there were 3 main options - leave it (that is a no-no), fix it (which is where we are now) or start over. I've tried to keep the third on the agenda as a last resort and least preferred if not fixable. As you've probably seen I started the thread just to get a feel for what an independent view would be - though I had a pretty good idea.
I think the fix it option is exhausted. I don't have any confidence in what's being proposed and do not want to be here again in a couple of years.
Reaching that conclusion on Sunday night trying to sort out his **** up which I'd paid for (actually prepared to put the time in if it helps, though Christ knows I've got better things to do), with the missus in tears at the thought of it all starting over, I've kept myself and her asking the question why we are where we are.
I know I've chucked in the odd light hearted line in what I've posted - least I can do to try and give someone a chuckle when they're spending time helping. But Cam's point earlier

M

My dog's called Trevor

Thanks CJ
I figured this would be the general trade response. Logically there were 3 main options - leave it (that is a no-no), fix it (which is where we are now) or start over. I've tried to keep the third on the agenda as a last resort and least preferred if not fixable. As you've probably seen I started the thread just to get a feel for what an independent view would be - though I had a pretty good idea.
I think the fix it option is exhausted. I don't have any confidence in what's being proposed and do not want to be here again in a couple of years.
Reaching that conclusion on Sunday night trying to sort out his **** up which I'd paid for (actually prepared to put the time in if it helps, though Christ knows I've got better things to do), with the missus in tears at the thought of it all starting over, I've kept myself and her asking the question why we are where we are.
I know I've chucked in the odd light hearted line in what I've posted - least I can do to try and give someone a chuckle when they're spending time helping. But Cam's point earlier

Sorry hit send. Cam's point about stress and yours here are spot on
Thanks again
Matt

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Found myself saying " oh my god!" Looking at the pics. You have been extremely patient with this guy. You seem a great customer, but there is only one way to sort this , that is to rip it all out and start again. The builder should have public and professional insurance, you should be claiming on that to put this right.

Hope it all works out.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
one thing this job has taught me in the 30% of fixing other people poo work is that if things dont go to plan in my life I suck it up and get on with it, be it a parking ticket or my gearbox on the old van going costing me two grand just as I started out down here. I try to stay stress free and thats what I tell my customers. Its not worth the heartache.
I fix the job, they take pics I put my bill in and they choose whether to chase the matter or to be happy and content in the knowledge that they will never get their fingers burned again and that the douche who did them over, well, one day karma will take him out.
or if you happen to know a man down the pub who knows where to see the man about the dog...then that is a a different tale for a different evening...not broadcast on here though. best off down the pub !!

thanks, ok bed THIS time. bon soir.

W

White Room

Found myself saying " oh my god!" Looking at the pics. You have been extremely patient with this guy. You seem a great customer, but there is only one way to sort this , that is to rip it all out and start again. The builder should have public and professional insurance, you should be claiming on that to put this right.

Hope it all works out.

Did'nt think any insurance would cover for bad workmanship....

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have professional indemnity insurance, this covers for workmanship. Hopefully he has, or you might have to sue him.
Either way, it's not your fault.

M

My dog's called Trevor

Did'nt think any insurance would cover for bad workmanship....

Hope it all works out.

Thanks Chalker
A
I have professional indemnity insurance, this covers for workmanship. Hopefully he has, or you might have to sue him.

Responses coming thick and fast and I haven't been able to keep up. Hard replying to everyone so thanks to those I've not responded to directly - Chalker, Whitebeam, Julian, 3 Fall as well as those who've I've responded to through the day.
Started this thread about 24 hours ago and Cam was responding at about 2am. Turned in now, bless him, and who could blame him?
Looking back at my original post I was after a bit of expert opinion on how hard to push for what was emerging for me as the only solution to what's happened. Quite clear I have that now. In a much stronger position to push for what needs to be done to get it right. I've got a pretty good idea of how things should go if it reaches deadlock and I have to say 'Shall we get a second opinion or two?' Think I've already got loads.
Don't get me wrong about this bloke. He's a nice guy, wouldn't do you over, and his construction stuff has been really good. He hasn't buggered off and wants to put this right. Obviously just out of his depth (Jesus, more than me, the DIY-er) on the floor. I do feel for him as he'll probably take a big hit. Best he doesn't touch a tile again and hits the books for UFH (or just reads the instructions maybe). Wish I had earlier as I'd never have allowed what's happened but I guess you shouldn't have to.
Doesn't seem much doubt that what I'd thought is what the trade thinks - although I'm still tempted to give the squirrels with their weights a go. Failing that, Doug's Ruby and Elvis are welcome to quote. My dog, Trevor, as you know, would be crap - just hasn't got the attention span and not a fan of the shiny tiles as he does Scooby Doo legs akimbo every time he legs it outside to chase the squirrels I so desperately need to advance floor tiling techniques to a new level.
So 24 hours on I've got the bit of background I felt I needed to try to move this forward. Very impressed with everyone's input - you guys are like tiling Samurai, defending wherever needed against tiling injustice. Great stuff, everyone, and hugely appreciated.
Don't really know the right salutation but may your grout always be the right consistency and your spacers true (sorry, too late to do better).
Seriously, really helpful day and you should all be proud that you've done quite a bit of restoring faith in tradesmen and people in general. Better not be anyone welling up or sniffing here - just not right.
Thanks so much again everyone
Regards
Matt
image.jpg

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Matt, I admire your patience. As has been said already, your builder has done a shockingly bad job, the worst I have seen. You also seem to know what needs to be done, a total rip-out ( at the builders expense). You have paid to have your floor tiled correctly, and that's what you should expect. His remedial works are getting more and more bizarre, and will never cure the huge problems that are clearly evident with your floor

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 73114 View attachment 73115 View attachment 73116 View attachment 73118 View attachment 73119 View attachment 73121

Dan
Keen as mustard - love it
Sorry not long in then was being a bit dim loading the pictures.
As promised some pics - so embarrassed, no-one's tidied up!
First is the dot and dab and UFH cable for everyone's entertainment. Next two are really just cardboard over where the tiles are up. Just shows the extent of the job really - it's a 5m x 5m square with a passageway of one end. 4th is what I'm worried about with end panels which probably have stone stuck to them 5th is the end of the island. Last is showing a tile space with all but the corner dots lifted off the cable and insulation. The genius idea is tile adhesive in the larger space between the corner dots, ridged a bit then Gripfill on the dots. Adjacent tiles not lifted to have foam injected under then as much adhesive pushed under the edge as possible. You probably gathered I'm not crazy about this idea.
Enough said really
Thanks
Matt
I haven't studied them or read your post properly but just in case you're about still I wanted to quickly ask for a picture or two under the plinths.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im surprise your builder hasn't run a mile by now thats the normal reponse from them when things go belly up.
How do you think he's going to take your request to start again?
Does he admit he's dropped a massive boo boo or is he trying to blame other things to worm his way out..

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That's some bad do do.
All depending on your budget, and wether your builder would pay for it , if it was me I'd try and keep the kitchen in, every bloke on here has tiled a floor a with kitchen in , it is doable and certainally not a bodge job as long as its prepped right.
not the best pics but this was tiled with the island and kitchen in, granite work tops ect, and these were 1200x600 :)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reply to I'm Stuck - Wish My Tiles Were in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen