Currently reading:
Bathroom floor grout cracking

Discuss Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,
Tiled a bathroom floor a couple of weeks ago for a customer. Plyed it out first with 12mm ply,primed it,used flexi addy and flexi grout and screwed down every 12 inches.
Few days later went back because the grout was cracking in places.
we went back and put more in,but last Friday he rang and said its cracking again.
So we going round tomorrow...Gonna get the old grout out and add GT1 to the grout mix to make it more flexilble and pour it in the gaps, apparently if we make it quite wet,it will go under the tile to fill any voids as well,if any..been advised by a skilled tiler to screw down every 4-6 inches for future jobs ,NOT 12.
Just hope this sorts it out,would hate to go back and rip it up,oh yeah they are porclain as well.
Does what I intend to do sound ok with you guys?
Cheers.
Vinnie.
:uhoh2::uhoh2:

B

Branty

Danny,

I agree with you completely! It's been done wrong but he may get away with regrouting it???

Kev
But the correct reply would be to tell him everywhere he has gone wrong.
If he went ahead and regrouted with a W/J grout and AD1, and that cracked. He then Came back on here for more advice, and you then tell him his ply was not thick enough. Would refund him his money for the extra grout and labour?

T

TilingLogistics

But the correct reply would be to tell him everywhere he has gone wrong.
If he went ahead and regrouted with a W/J grout and AD1, and that cracked. He then Came back on here for more advice, and you then tell him his ply was not thick enough. Would refund him his money for the extra grout and labour?

Danny,

His initial query was he intended to modify an already modified grout. I pointed out he couldn't. Ultimately it was only 6" of grout cracking. If I told him everything that was wrong he would have to rip up the whole thing. People come on here because they are looking for answers to solve their problems. If I went your route virtually every job would have to be redone. You have already said in other posts you are seeing this daily. How many rip it up and do it again???

Kev

B

Branty

Danny,

His initial query was he intended to modify an already modified grout. I pointed out he couldn't. Ultimately it was only 6" of grout cracking. If I told him everything that was wrong he would have to rip up the whole thing. People come on here because they are looking for answers to solve their problems. If I went your route virtually every job would have to be redone. You have already said in other posts you are seeing this daily. How many rip it up and do it again???

Kev

In this instance, if I was called out to this job, that is what would need to be done, and that is the advice, as a BAL employee I'd have to give.
So that's the advice I gave the guy.
As a professional giving advice to people that are looking for it, then that too is the advice you have to give. If the floor needs to be ripped up, then that is what has to happen.
I didn't even mention the fact he has voids under his floor, which should be solid bed fixed.
If some one asks for advice on putting a job right, I give it. As I said, if this guy had spent a few quid regrouting, and he came back here next week saying his floor grout had cracked again, what would you say to him?

B

Branty

as the song says Branty....'rip it up and start again'

IMO - you both have valid points but i think vinnie was looking for the quick fix in the meantime.:grin:
I agree Brian.
But when you do that, its important to point out what probably is the underlying problem. That way you're giving the overal picture, and let the person decide what he wants with all the facts. I was just trying to cover all the bases on this post. Not just repeat what other people have already said.

T

The D

In my humble opinion the advice given to tilers today should be do not tile directly on to plywood sub-straights. There are more than enough products out there that can do the job. You are risking a failure if you tile on to wood in the best of circumstances. Even if you have used 18mm ply and screwed at 6 inch centres and primed the under side and the edges of the wood and screwed the tong and groove floorboards to ensure there rigidity. You can even go as far as to ensure the joists are free from movement. You can do all this and still get a failure. Wood is unpredictable.

G

graham31

In my humble opinion the advice given to tilers today should be do not tile directly on to plywood sub-straights. There are more than enough products out there that can do the job. You are risking a failure if you tile on to wood in the best of circumstances. Even if you have used 18mm ply and screwed at 6 inch centres and primed the under side and the edges of the wood and screwed the tong and groove floorboards to ensure there rigidity. You can even go as far as to ensure the joists are free from movement. You can do all this and still get a failure. Wood is unpredictable.
Yes see your point,but is this not changing what every tiler has been taught over the years?

Reply to Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.