Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Sorry guys I did use a flexi grout,as stated in my first post.
Been around there today and there was only about six inches to regrout.
When the bloke rang he made out it was all cracking,and us thinking it might have to be ripped up.
Well anyway fingers crossed it stays ok.
Cheers for your help .
Vin.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

S

Sully

You need to fix the ply every 300mm centres. If the joists are 400mm spans, you need to add noggins. The ply should be 15mm min.

There in may lay the problem:stupid:

Hello? Anyone else at home :yes::yes::yes:? Why we discussing grout?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Branty

But he has used 12mm ply.
Even if he had used flexi grout, the chances are it could fail.
Is it really screwed into the joists every 300mm?

T

TilingLogistics

But he has used 12mm ply.
Even if he had used flexi grout, the chances are it could fail.
Is it really screwed into the joists every 300mm?

Danny,

I agree with you completely! It's been done wrong but he may get away with regrouting it???

Kev

B

Branty

Danny,

I agree with you completely! It's been done wrong but he may get away with regrouting it???

Kev
But the correct reply would be to tell him everywhere he has gone wrong.
If he went ahead and regrouted with a W/J grout and AD1, and that cracked. He then Came back on here for more advice, and you then tell him his ply was not thick enough. Would refund him his money for the extra grout and labour?

T

TilingLogistics

But the correct reply would be to tell him everywhere he has gone wrong.
If he went ahead and regrouted with a W/J grout and AD1, and that cracked. He then Came back on here for more advice, and you then tell him his ply was not thick enough. Would refund him his money for the extra grout and labour?

Danny,

His initial query was he intended to modify an already modified grout. I pointed out he couldn't. Ultimately it was only 6" of grout cracking. If I told him everything that was wrong he would have to rip up the whole thing. People come on here because they are looking for answers to solve their problems. If I went your route virtually every job would have to be redone. You have already said in other posts you are seeing this daily. How many rip it up and do it again???

Kev

B

Branty

Danny,

His initial query was he intended to modify an already modified grout. I pointed out he couldn't. Ultimately it was only 6" of grout cracking. If I told him everything that was wrong he would have to rip up the whole thing. People come on here because they are looking for answers to solve their problems. If I went your route virtually every job would have to be redone. You have already said in other posts you are seeing this daily. How many rip it up and do it again???

Kev

In this instance, if I was called out to this job, that is what would need to be done, and that is the advice, as a BAL employee I'd have to give.
So that's the advice I gave the guy.
As a professional giving advice to people that are looking for it, then that too is the advice you have to give. If the floor needs to be ripped up, then that is what has to happen.
I didn't even mention the fact he has voids under his floor, which should be solid bed fixed.
If some one asks for advice on putting a job right, I give it. As I said, if this guy had spent a few quid regrouting, and he came back here next week saying his floor grout had cracked again, what would you say to him?

B

brian c

as the song says Branty....'rip it up and start again'

IMO - you both have valid points but i think vinnie was looking for the quick fix in the meantime.:grin:

B

Branty

as the song says Branty....'rip it up and start again'

IMO - you both have valid points but i think vinnie was looking for the quick fix in the meantime.:grin:
I agree Brian.
But when you do that, its important to point out what probably is the underlying problem. That way you're giving the overal picture, and let the person decide what he wants with all the facts. I was just trying to cover all the bases on this post. Not just repeat what other people have already said.

B

brian c

yes m8 i understand exactly what you are saying and thanks again for explaining in full as im sure some of the new guys will take heid of the advice given.:grin:

Reply to Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen