Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bluevin123

Hi,
Tiled a bathroom floor a couple of weeks ago for a customer. Plyed it out first with 12mm ply,primed it,used flexi addy and flexi grout and screwed down every 12 inches.
Few days later went back because the grout was cracking in places.
we went back and put more in,but last Friday he rang and said its cracking again.
So we going round tomorrow...Gonna get the old grout out and add GT1 to the grout mix to make it more flexilble and pour it in the gaps, apparently if we make it quite wet,it will go under the tile to fill any voids as well,if any..been advised by a skilled tiler to screw down every 4-6 inches for future jobs ,NOT 12.
Just hope this sorts it out,would hate to go back and rip it up,oh yeah they are porclain as well.
Does what I intend to do sound ok with you guys?
Cheers.
Vinnie.
:uhoh2::uhoh2:

E

enduro

Was the adhesive recommended for porcelain, i only use Bal porcelbond flexible addy.

B

bluevin123

Cheers guys,Yeah I primed the ply before I tiled,and the addy was for Porclain.
Cheers.
Vin.

T

TilingLogistics

What grout exactly did you use the first time? How wide are the grout joints?

You cannot modify an already Modified grout it will go like chewing gum. If you ring BAL or Mapei both their tech helplines will confirm this so you will have to slightly over modify one of their unmodified grouts:thumbsup:

Kev

B

Branty

You need to fix the ply every 300mm centres. If the joists are 400mm spans, you need to add noggins. The ply should be 15mm min.

T

TilingLogistics

Hi Kev,it was Bal Wide Gout joint and the grout line is 3mm.
Cheers.
Vin.

So as Dave said it wasn't flexi then:huh2: I wouldn't bother modifying it get a good Bal Flex grout or a Mapei rake out the old stuff and regrout

Kev

B

bluevin123

Sorry guys I did use a flexi grout,as stated in my first post.
Been around there today and there was only about six inches to regrout.
When the bloke rang he made out it was all cracking,and us thinking it might have to be ripped up.
Well anyway fingers crossed it stays ok.
Cheers for your help .
Vin.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

S

Sully

You need to fix the ply every 300mm centres. If the joists are 400mm spans, you need to add noggins. The ply should be 15mm min.

There in may lay the problem:stupid:

Hello? Anyone else at home :yes::yes::yes:? Why we discussing grout?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Branty

But he has used 12mm ply.
Even if he had used flexi grout, the chances are it could fail.
Is it really screwed into the joists every 300mm?

T

TilingLogistics

But he has used 12mm ply.
Even if he had used flexi grout, the chances are it could fail.
Is it really screwed into the joists every 300mm?

Danny,

I agree with you completely! It's been done wrong but he may get away with regrouting it???

Kev

B

Branty

Danny,

I agree with you completely! It's been done wrong but he may get away with regrouting it???

Kev
But the correct reply would be to tell him everywhere he has gone wrong.
If he went ahead and regrouted with a W/J grout and AD1, and that cracked. He then Came back on here for more advice, and you then tell him his ply was not thick enough. Would refund him his money for the extra grout and labour?

Reply to Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks