Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Cheers danny..good advice as usual.....like you say better to do it right than do it again and again...:thumbsup:

B

Branty

Cheers danny..good advice as usual.....like you say better to do it right than do it again and again...:thumbsup:
Cheers Dave.
I live in the real world and know sometimes what you have to do and what you can afford to do are not always compatible.
Since working for BAL I've realised you need to give the full facts or it might bite you on the bum.

D

DHTiling

I bet your new job danny has opened your eyes alot to what fixers get up to...:yes:

T

The D

In my humble opinion the advice given to tilers today should be do not tile directly on to plywood sub-straights. There are more than enough products out there that can do the job. You are risking a failure if you tile on to wood in the best of circumstances. Even if you have used 18mm ply and screwed at 6 inch centres and primed the under side and the edges of the wood and screwed the tong and groove floorboards to ensure there rigidity. You can even go as far as to ensure the joists are free from movement. You can do all this and still get a failure. Wood is unpredictable.

G

graham31

In my humble opinion the advice given to tilers today should be do not tile directly on to plywood sub-straights. There are more than enough products out there that can do the job. You are risking a failure if you tile on to wood in the best of circumstances. Even if you have used 18mm ply and screwed at 6 inch centres and primed the under side and the edges of the wood and screwed the tong and groove floorboards to ensure there rigidity. You can even go as far as to ensure the joists are free from movement. You can do all this and still get a failure. Wood is unpredictable.
Yes see your point,but is this not changing what every tiler has been taught over the years?

D

DEtileD

In most cases 18mm is recommended. Quite sure the recommendations is to screw it down a little closer.

D

DEtileD

hmmm sorry didnt see the last page of comments before i replied.....hand in hornets nest...:yawn:

Reply to Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen