Search the forum,

Discuss let down... misprepresented.. out of their leauge ! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

m3fitter

Took someone on from here, based on their supposed 9 years experience.. and they jacked on the second day.. now when I sent them the PDF plans, spec on tiles and expressed to them, it is a 9 million pound new build, and we agreed a price, it wasn't a problem for the 3 bathrooms.. I noticed on the first morning he expressed that he had tiled wet trays in mosaics, but not in big tiles, ie: never enveloped anything ? I explained this process.. !! before 11am the next day, all the excuses came out, he couldn't earn money here, the substrates were wrong.. the gulleys were 15mm out, blah blah blah.. I paid for a room for him for 5 nights prior to...
end result: I lost the contract for a high end developer that had a project in ST.Georges hill for me afterwards and the 4 nights he didn't stay in the room, he assured me that it was not a problem this job. I won't name him unless he comments and tries to justify himself. I asked him to stick it out and persevere, I was even getting one of my lads to grout for him and lay ditra.
Gutted to say the least..... the proof is in the pudding, chat is cheap..... I told him that he should see this out, just for his own sake, he will feel like a failure, the substrates were fine.. honestly.. he chose not to and jack....

M

m3fitter

nah, it just causes bad feeling and stress, I just wanted to rant about it, but no name required, unless like you say Plaintec, he wants to put his side forward ??
I don't think he'll be in a hurry to offer his services again.. as he said to me, I can't earn money at this level of attention to detail, and its taking me longer than I expected.. his first day he tiled 2 sq.metres of mosaics on the rear wall of a shower, no valve or obstruction, yes he is a regular on here...
on the brighter side dennis & Charlie from here done good this week and I got them starting another on Monday :) see its not all doom and gloom ! feel free to post Dennis :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

You are not alone m3fitter in this sorry story of woe, same thing happened to me, only this one only lasted a day! Talk the talk, but can't walk the walk, and told me I was to 'picky' 6mm lips on stone are not acceptable, never have been, never will be.

Im sorry this happened to you, you take one step forward sometimes and then 2 steps back.

Pebbs

6mm lips on any tile is non-aplicable amigo! jesus i got paid £60 for a days work on a small kitchen the other day and i swear i only had 3 mm lips! (joke)

M

m3fitter

You are not alone m3fitter in this sorry story of woe, same thing happened to me, only this one only lasted a day! Talk the talk, but can't walk the walk, and told me I was to 'picky' 6mm lips on stone are not acceptable, never have been, never will be.

Im sorry this happened to you, you take one step forward sometimes and then 2 steps back.

Pebbs

As I've said first time its happened, I have always subbed out tilers from forums, from UK tilers, Trusted tradesmen, Ultimate handyman, first time someone has jacked basically for no reason other than they weren't up to it, or they had no respect for me and couldn't tile quickly enough within the standard required.. which is a poor show, as I said to him ' you'll look back and beat yourself up, it was 5-6- days work maximum at a steady pace for £1,500 cash.. whats the problem ?? '

M

m3fitter

Not good m8, been keeping up with this thread since you posted.
As you say he should have stuck at it & maybe learned something new.
I'm not great at shower trays as I don't get asked to do a lot of them but there's only one way to learn..

I drew it out on the tray, and showed him how to set the whole floor out, and explained why... I explained the whole wet tray thing in large format, enveloping 20140917_112540.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

I drew it out on the tray, and showed him how to set the whole floor out, and explained why... I explained the whole wet tray thing in large format, enveloping View attachment 59673
And there you have it.Despite his obvious lack of knowledge you still allowed him to start your contract.I'am not portioning blame as you were obviously under pressure and hoodwinked into giving him the work, but the signs were there.If you find yourself in a labour shortage situation again, my son and I are local for the foreseeable future and could be available to help.

R

Rossymcg

I drew it out on the tray, and showed him how to set the whole floor out, and explained why... I explained the whole wet tray thing in large format, enveloping View attachment 59673
Forming falls with the tiles needs explaining? Pretty self explanatory is it not,
I'm not so sure you should keep stum about this chap, other folks could put him on to work through here and he may not be the right man for the job,

Reply to let down... misprepresented.. out of their leauge ! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement