Discuss Wetroom tray envelope cut setting out challenge in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SB4U

As the replies I got to my previous setting out post were so helpful so I thought I'd ask for your setting out advice again if I may. This time it's the floor, and especially around the wetroom tray former.

The tiles are 330mm and the tray former is 1350x1050 with the drain at an awkward non central location.

Do you think the first attached pic shows the best way to do it? I wonder if the small cuts at top and left of the former will be a problem. They'll be about 90mm.

If I move the tiles over so that the edges of the former align with the tiles then I've got slivers at the edges of the room and a strange configuration at the drain, as per the second attached pic.

What do you think?

Steve

upload_2015-8-11_13-42-51.png

upload_2015-8-11_13-43-30.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd opt for option 1 by the way. Overall it looks best.

If there's no screen or glass involved anyway.

S

SB4U

Sketchup. You can create the grid of tiles as a component and move it around to your heart's content.

There will be 2 screens.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Option 2 seems to cause slithers around the perimeter as well as around the drain. I'd still go for 1 I think.

O

Old Mod

New drawings are better!
Was struggling tbh.

If u used top layout u could look at not cutting the first tile on the left and top just maybe let the inside edge drop in a little, then from first full tile in former, tile it as u would expect. Make sense?

On the bottom drawing, is there not enough play to pull it down and right so the drain occupies the top left corner of the tile?

S

SB4U

If u used top layout u could look at not cutting the first tile on the left and top just maybe let the inside edge drop in a little, then from first full tile in former, tile it as u would expect.

I did wonder that, but I felt like it would make it more difficult for me to tile as I'd need to construct the slope in the adhesive rather than just go with the former's slopes.

On the bottom drawing, is there not enough play to pull it down and right so the drain occupies the top left corner of the tile?

Like the new attached pic? There'd still be some slivers and a bit of jiggery pokery on the edges of the former. The doorway to the room is on the bottom left by the way.

upload_2015-8-11_14-15-45.png

S

SB4U

Oh dear. I'm having a mare with posting today. Can I delete that last reply and have another go?

Edit. Sorted it. Phew.

O

Old Mod

These are to scale yeah?
Have u allowed for a tile joint?
Just offer up the tile over the former edge and see what you're left with.
I doubt they'll be a massive difference in height

O

Old Mod

Trouble is setting out to overcome problems takes years of practice. U know how to tweak it when you're there but on a piece of paper it's completely different! Haha

S

SB4U

Yes, good point. I don't want to overthink it now and then find it's a few mm out when I come to do it.

Here's another way I didn't think of before: (5th tile in from the left on the bottom row looks a bit silly though.)

upload_2015-8-11_14-26-15.png

O

Old Mod

Nope haha I think I'd still look at first idea overhanging. Have u actually taken a look at the height difference?

S

SB4U

No. I'll take a look when I get home from work later. It would certainly make cutting a lot easier for sure.

Reply to Wetroom tray envelope cut setting out challenge in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks