Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Public Thread!: Poor tile Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders

This is a public thread. So please do NOT include personal information of who's done the job, where it's been done, etc. Only include information related to the workmanship. What's been done wrong, what should have been done, how the repair has gone on, etc.

Upload pictures of poor workmanship by DIYers and rogue "tradesmen" to this thread. We have another thread in the arms which we will move posts to here by request. If you have pictures uploaded to the thread in the arms and would like the pictures added to here, please let one of the staff know.

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Less than half an hour later...

Attachments

• 15583518320014438135307816237272.jpg
    15583518320014438135307816237272.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Unfortunately your a victim of the 5 P's poor preparation pi** poor performance.
Have you told him your concerns regarding the workmanship & requested that he rectify them
He knows Andy. I gave him a test area to redo to see how his work panned out and it was still poor. I could not honestly expect to believe he is capable of fixing the whole room if he cannot fix a small area which needed doing. It was all I could do to see how he handles a small area before I would consider letting him loose on the rest of it. So he is pretty much kicked off. Inspectors will be visiting to see his work and I am sure things will be rectified in the right way.

Reaction score
When the guys come around from the tile company keep it on point . Dont start saying he was ten minutes late one day or he didnt shave before he cane to work ir he is a messy worker it just dilutes the fact you are not happy with the work . Keep it on the tile everything else doesn't matter .
Oh, I agree. I could not care one iota if it was done by Carol Vorderman dressed in leather brandishing a whip and handcuffs (she would never have completed the work after a year :D) or atilla the hun in drag. As long as the job is done correctly, that is all that matters. Only the standard of work done matters, nothing else.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When the guys come around from the tile company keep it on point . Dont start saying he was ten minutes late one day or he didnt shave before he cane to work ir he is a messy worker it just dilutes the fact you are not happy with the work . Keep it on the tile everything else doesn't matter .

Also if you have a schedule of works or contract the raise what wasn’t done they should have been done etc

Reaction score
Jesus,Mary & Joseph If he's a tiler I'm prince charming not shriek , if those pictures are anything to go by shocking is being kind. also like JCR point out above stick to the facts nothing else ,but I might ask the question of why they have somebody employed has produced that standard of work.As for Carol Vonderman in leather would prefer Charlize Theron personally, As for Attila the Hun he'd have probably made a beter job & he was cross eyed according to Charlize in Hancock :)
Paul it could be 6 ,I was always told it was 5 P's, but what's 1 digit amongst amigos.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I’m with Paul, 6 P’s. :)

T

Tile Shop

Customer, 60x60 porcelain, complained that the grout joints were cracking and when the tiler went back to do repairs, reckoned he could lift the tiles off the floor with his fingers. He said the tiles were loose as they were too dusty and that there was no written instruction telling him to clean the backs of the tiles before fixing (yeah, I laughed too). Yet when I was there, even though they were fairly easy to lift, still took a hammer and chisel to get them up. Although there was no back-spread, he had used a unique method of fixing...

So who has heard of the "union-jack" fixing method? Tiler of 42 years experience said it as if it was a well known and commonly used method!!! Todd from Ultra went to take a look. First glance after the tiles were lifted "What the..... what on earth is that?"

Other than the fixing method, the problem was that the floor was chipboard, no overlay other than Durabase, then this lot of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Couldn't see where it had been screwed down, but there was so much deflection in the floor, the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was cracking, you could see it see-sawing as you walked on it and there was no chance it was ever going to survive. I recommended lifting the chipboard, adding noggins, laying a new subfloor such as 22mm NMP, or if 22m timber overboard it with Hardie.... but as I was leaving, the tiler said all he was going to do was self-level over the old https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and refit the tiles... He's going to try persuading the customer to take us to court for supplying faulty tiles. I wished him the best of luck.
IMG_20190708_091650.jpg IMG_20190708_092250.jpg IMG_20190708_092254.jpg IMG_20190708_092259.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spare Tool

Union jack method...that's a new one, must be a new Great British Standard we haven't heard of :tearsofjoy: sounds like it could be floating chipboard :rolleyes:

I

Italy

Customer, 60x60 porcelain, complained that the grout joints were cracking and when the tiler went back to do repairs, reckoned he could lift the tiles off the floor with his fingers. He said the tiles were loose as they were too dusty and that there was no written instruction telling him to clean the backs of the tiles before fixing (yeah, I laughed too). Yet when I was there, even though they were fairly easy to lift, still took a hammer and chisel to get them up. Although there was no back-spread, he had used a unique method of fixing...

So who has heard of the "union-jack" fixing method? Tiler of 42 years experience said it as if it was a well known and commonly used method!!! Todd from Ultra went to take a look. First glance after the tiles were lifted "What the..... what on earth is that?"

Other than the fixing method, the problem was that the floor was chipboard, no overlay other than Durabase, then this lot of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Couldn't see where it had been screwed down, but there was so much deflection in the floor, the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was cracking, you could see it see-sawing as you walked on it and there was no chance it was ever going to survive. I recommended lifting the chipboard, adding noggins, laying a new subfloor such as 22mm NMP, or if 22m timber overboard it with Hardie.... but as I was leaving, the tiler said all he was going to do was self-level over the old https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and refit the tiles... He's going to try persuading the customer to take us to court for supplying faulty tiles. I wished him the best of luck.
View attachment 108043 View attachment 108044 View attachment 108045 View attachment 108046
what laying pattern is it?

Reply to Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock