Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Public Thread!: Poor tile Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders

This is a public thread. So please do NOT include personal information of who's done the job, where it's been done, etc. Only include information related to the workmanship. What's been done wrong, what should have been done, how the repair has gone on, etc.

Upload pictures of poor workmanship by DIYers and rogue "tradesmen" to this thread. We have another thread in the arms which we will move posts to here by request. If you have pictures uploaded to the thread in the arms and would like the pictures added to here, please let one of the staff know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you reply to original email when confirming acc?
Your profile says we’re still awaiting email confirmation.
Unfortunately, I have not recieved a confirmation of account email. I checked 'spam' and that was empty, so did a resend confirmation email, and nothing arrived. Tricky one this :).

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Been having bathroom installed. Have posted some photos of the standard of tile, where I have notice some problems. Wavy tiles, spacing seems to be different from one tile to another, trim doesn't seem flush and the walls are not flat with tiles bulging.

It is quite poor to be honest, mainly due to the wrong sized trim being used for the tiles and poor prep work, ie getting the walls flat and level before tile.
The cutting of tiles into the trim could be neater.
It’s not a total disaster, and could be fairly easily rectified.
Have a chat with your installer, highlight your issues and see what they are willing to do to rectify.

O

Old Mod

Unfortunately, I have not recieved a confirmation of account email. I checked 'spam' and that was empty, so did a resend confirmation email, and nothing arrived. Tricky one this :).
I’ve changed it to valid manually, see if there are any differences. Maybe you signed up right in middle of change over. We were offline for several hours.

Reaction score
It is quite poor to be honest, mainly due to the wrong sized trim being used for the tiles and poor prep work, ie getting the walls flat and level before tile.
The cutting of tiles into the trim could be neater.
It’s not a total disaster, and could be fairly easily rectified.
Have a chat with your installer, highlight your issues and see what they are willing to do to rectify.

Thanks @Boggs - Response from fitter is 'plastering wouldn't of achieved anything in the room apart from extend the job'.
It was in the contract and I had said beforehand that the room was to be plastered. Lo and behold, many tiles are all over the place.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
To be honest replastering a room would not get bad walls flat enough for successful tile.
90% of jobs I complete solid walls are overboarded with plasterboard or tilebacker, the extra time taken to achieve flat and level walls is easily caught up at the tile stage.

Reaction score
Thanks @Boggs - Response from fitter is 'plastering wouldn't of achieved anything in the room apart from extend the job'.
It was in the contract and I had said beforehand that the room was to be plastered. Lo and behold, many tiles are all over the place.
sorry but did you say to the fitter that it needed plastering before hand or did the fitter say this to you

Reaction score
sorry but did you say to the fitter that it needed plastering before hand or did the fitter say this to you
It was written in the contract that walls had to be plastered. Did the ceiling but not the walls. I said it was written in the job spec and forms part of the contract, but he said they did not need doing. He tiled over part blown skim, skim which was not blown and old https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Sprayed with bonding first.

Reaction score
Don't know if it's been said but you can't tile on bonding
He actually told me that the tiles would not bond as good on new plaster, so better without. Strange one, that. Yet he goes ahead and tiles on plaster. (new or old, plaster is the same to me :D)

Reaction score
These are photo's of the tile done onto aquaboard.

Attachments

• 20190519_154404.jpg
    20190519_154404.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190519_154424.jpg
    20190519_154424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This should be an easy rip out :seenoevil:

Attachments

• 15583502265442008081755098540841.jpg
    15583502265442008081755098540841.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51

Reply to Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock