Discuss First Tiling Job Finished in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan to tile over the old bevelled tile kitchen splashback, and to rip out the old tiles and start from scratch instead. The old plasterboard ripped off with the tiles so the job also entailed screwing in new drywall and priming; bread and butter work for seasoned DIYers, I'm sure, but for me quite the feat.

I'm now done, and I'm delighted with the results. Not the perfect finish I'd expect from a pro but overall, considering my limitations and inexperience, pretty good. I learnt so much throughout the process and I'm actually sad to be coming to the end of the entire project, which has included replacing the sink, laying vinyl floor and painting the old cabinets. The result: a brand 'new' kitchen for under a grand, which will tide us over for a few more years until we can afford to plan the big extension. If that day ever comes.

Thanks to those who gave me advice on this forum, particularly for the suggestion that I rip it up and start again. Having a smooth, level surface to tile really helped me get a decent finish.

Had to make a couple of decisions to decide on the lesser of two evils, like tolerating thin cuts in the left corner of the main wall in order to guarantee being central behind the cooker hob. My trim installation could have also been better where the three corners meet, but I'll be honest, I had a pro in to do the upstairs bathroom earlier in the year who wasn't much neater.

Someone suggested I post photos so here we go.

Thanks again, folks.
20211024_111817.jpg
20211120_102836.jpg
20211121_155756.jpg
20211128_100653.jpg
20211204_164132.jpg
20211121_155817.jpg
20211121_155817.jpg
20211204_163010.jpg
20211204_163006.jpg

Attachments

• 20211210_192706.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 42

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Well done for having a go and for being brave enough to post photos. The important thing is that you are happy with it.

It is better than some of the pics that get posted on here by unhappy customers that have supposedly been done by professionals.

Reaction score
If that's your first ever tiling job then kudos to you 👏
Thanks Gazolzwurf.

Genuinely my first attempt at tiling. I have a lot of respect for the trade I can tell you. I had some good advice and suggestions from people and just really took my time, much to my wife's frustration. I've done my beadwork now too so it looks more 'finished' than in those photos.

There are areas that I'd do differently but no catastrophes.

Reaction score
Very nice for a first attempt, I've also seen much much worse from "pro's"
The fact that you have seen things that you could improve means you have the "right stuff"
👍

Reply to First Tiling Job Finished in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks