Search the forum,

Discuss Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

No I understood the logistics of your post but don't see that as a valid reason to not prepare the material properly.

J

J Sid

never had a stone job I needed or wanted to seal before fixing, Encaustic, as John said, always and Terracotta, well have only done one in the 25 years, many before that when all the fashion and did it as I used to, lay clean and sealed with linseed oil 3 time different dilution's each time.
I'm with Bob on this one, lay stone unsealed and clean and leave to dry completely before sealing.

W

WaltWhite

IMG_8767.JPG
IMG_8768.JPG
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8770.JPG
IMG_8771.JPG
IMG_8772.JPG
IMG_8773.JPG
Hi all

Meeting the tiler about the marble tiles floor tonight. I notice the grouting was commented on in earlier posts about being poor. Could you explain what looks wrong with it and how it should be remedied?

Also the tiler laid ceramic tiles on top of our other bathroom floor, I think it looks ok? But I've uploaded some pics here in case I've missed something again

Thanks for all your input so far been really useful

M

MTiler

never had a stone job I needed or wanted to seal before fixing, Encaustic, as John said, always and Terracotta, well have only done one in the 25 years, many before that when all the fashion and did it as I used to, lay clean and sealed with linseed oil 3 time different dilution's each time.
I'm with Bob on this one, lay stone unsealed and clean and leave to dry completely before sealing.

I did a job with Bert & May encaustics and their instructions were to leave them for a few days after fixing to let them completely dry out and then seal them before grouting.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I did a job with Bert & May encaustics and their instructions were to leave them for a few days after fixing to let them completely dry out and then seal them before grouting.
I leave encaustics for a minimum of 7 days before sealing so moisture has evaporated

W

WaltWhite

Hi all

Just regarding my original post which started this thread from my first photos the grouting has been highlighted as poor. Could someone explain what's wrong with it and how to sort it ? I'm not a tiler myself but meeting the tiler this eve want to be able to discuss clearly with him if poss. Thanks again for everyone's input

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi all

Just regarding my original post which started this thread from my first photos the grouting has been highlighted as poor. Could someone explain what's wrong with it and how to sort it ? I'm not a tiler myself but meeting the tiler this eve want to be able to discuss clearly with him if poss. Thanks again for everyone's input

Hi Walt,

Well firstly it's filthy in places and looks as tho the dirt has been sealed in and the grout film on the surface of the stone has also been sealed in......the grout also looks patchy so the tiler probably didn't mix the powder & water to the correct ratio, consistency or it's been washed too much ( so if he has washed it off with clean water but then washed off again after the grout has started to cure it will dry patchy.....( that's a big problem I'm afraid ).....

Reply to Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen