UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I hate black grout! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jamie B

I think the title says it all!!
Just spent almost as long grouting 25m of slate as I did fixing it!! (well not quite, but you get my drift!!) I just don't know why its' so awkward to work!
It's 'greasy', messy and knocks up sloppy or stiff as a board...ruins your squegees, not mention sponges/bucket/anything else that comes into contact with it (I may give up getting my nails done at this rate ha ha ha!:lol:) and I'm never truly happy with the final polish....does anyone know the reason it seems so much harder to work than other coloured grouts???

....Phew!...I think I'm ranting...and there's more of the same on the next job..arrghhhh!!!:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

J

jamie B

The best part is it wont stop black for long, go back in 12 months and it will be grey, better to just put grey in in the first place, but the customer is always right so just obey the last command

how right you are!...everyone seems to be an expert these days tho!..especially the buggers flogging the stuff!
to add insult to injury this particular customer was sold a very poor own brand from the suppliers ..not good.:thumbsdown: ended up in the awkward position of refusing to use it after the first patch..so had to supply and re-grout...will be having words with the supplier next time I'm in!:rant::rant:

D

Deleted member 1779

One consideration was the use of black grout to give these tiles a "one panel" look.

shower1.jpg

But then we decided to avoid the dreaded black grout and to highlight the tiles with cream.

One key factor was the bleed of black onto the cream tiles. Messy Messy!

If I would have thought black grout would have added anything we would took our time and used it.

But I think its actually a better look.

J

jamie B

One consideration was the use of black grout to give these tiles a "one panel" look.

shower1.jpg

But then we decided to avoid the dreaded black grout and to highlight the tiles with cream.

One key factor was the bleed of black onto the cream tiles. Messy Messy!

If I would have thought black grout would have added anything we would took our time and used it.

But I think its actually a better look.

Looks loads better! shows the lines nicely:thumbsup: now go and convince all my customers ha ha !

D

Deleted member 1779

Yes in fact we even did the

SMALL MOSAICS

around the toilet with jet-black tiles and the cream (ivory) grout

toilet.jpg

As part of the first fix I had to route the soil stack at a bit of an awkward angle out the back of the loo. And at right angles on 90deg bends to meet the main stack.

I boxed the pipe in and was going to tile it with large format porcelain in cream but decided to go for the black contrast to highlight the white furniture. Even on the small brickbond tiles we went for ivory grout.

The result you can see for yourself...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I hate black grout! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently had a kitchen installed and there is tiling up to the extractor fan and cabinets...
Replies
Views
delurks Hi, My late mother did an 'interesting' tiling job, and I now want to make it look a...
Replies
Views
B
hi everyone, sorry I’m new to this forum so please bear with me. Here is my dilemma & hoping for...
Replies
Views
Ben tiler
B
Hi I've just laid 26m2 of wood effect polished porcelain tiles (quite high end from Italy...
Replies
Views
O
Hey guys, So I got this terrace to tile and grout, thankfully only 3.2m X 900mm in these tiles...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.