Discuss Potential Grout Disaster! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Hey guys,
So I got this terrace to tile and grout, thankfully only 3.2m X 900mm in these tiles!

Rustic Red Terracotta Tiles | Walls and Floors

And here's an actual image of them.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yummy!
So with advice from @Lithofin BOB was gonna go with KF stain stop as opposed to Linseed oil and wax, reason being an external location, obviously, as its a terrace!:rolleyes:
So looking for grout recommendations from anyone who may have fixed these or similar before. They are super light and feel more like a sponge, even tho they're 20mm thick.
The joints will be large as the size variance is enormous!
They can measure from 145-155mm across and that's on the same side! :eek:
Was thinking maybe a semi dry sand and cement mix?
I've also got Bal's pre grout seal to hand, anyone any ideas if this would actually work, given they're so porous?
I will be test grouting, but I'm so short of time I'm after a quick plan and a direction to go in!
So any advice would be truly appreciated, as long as it's related to my question! Hahaha
Cheers guys,
Marc.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

TRUST ME IF I COULD!......
don't have time to be messed about by this bloody floor!!!
But it's one of eleven, thankfully the only one, but I can just see it going
boobies up!

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
TRUST ME IF I COULD!......
don't have time to be messed about by this bloody floor!!!
But it's one of eleven, thankfully the only one, but I can just see it going
boobies up!
I've used terracotta before and have used both sand and cement and a wide joint grout. I've had no problems with either, but knowing that both can dry shadey, if you use a wide joint grout you have at least got technical support if anything goes wrong.
As you probably already know just soak the hell out of the tiles with the stain stop use a stiff mix, do small areas at a time and wash it off clean as you go.

O

Old Mod

Cheers @Ste-G
yeah done loads of terracotta over the years, just nothing that feels like this!
Feels like I could crush it in to a pile of dust, if u pick it up it doesn't feel like you're holding anything haha
Thanks mate, least I feel like I'm thinking in the right direction!
Think I just needed a hug and to be told
'don't worry, it'll be ok!' Haha

J

Just Rizzle

years ago I laid some thin similar on a patio we used a product that came in a sealed package we brushed it into the grout jounts and left it for 24 hrs to harden was rock hard day later. was called some thing like geo filler was yellow in colour and was resiny to the touch. didn't have to wash tiles and it didn't stain. sealed the tiles with stain stop

T

Tile Shop

Seriously, these will look awesome when they're done. Just won't be easy.

Also with a little help from Mark @ LTP (He's an absolute LEGEND!), he advises of the following to fit: Slow process but critical to get this right when using these tiles outdoors.

I know you didn't want to go with linseed, but trust me, these tiles can drink! It will take a silly amount of coats if using anything thinner. The linseed once cured will also increase the mechanical strength of the tile cuz I appreciate they are pretty light-weight. Anyway........

1. Lay the tiles
2. Give them the first coat of LTP Double Boiled Linseed Oil, and leave overnight to fully cure.
3. Next day, 2nd coat of linseed. If it sinks in, give it another coat, and another until the tile can't take any more, wipe off the excess and leave to cure overnight.
4. Apply a single coat of LTP Colour intensifier and leave again to fully cure overnight.
5. Next day, grout it. Because of the surface texture, if there is any residue, use a mild solution of the LTP Grout Stain Remover and a deck brush to scrub it clean. Rinse and leave to dry.
6. Once dry, finish with a final coat of the colour intensifier.
Done.

Would be helpful if you can advise where in the country this is, and how high the terrace is from ground level.

Hope this helps, but if you get stuck, call Mark at LTP directly, and he will sort you out. I was seriously amazed with his advise and reasoning.

I

Italy

I stuccoed once baked red, I had brought the land of the tennis courts to be mixed with cement and had kneaded as a filler for tiles, were 300 square meters, had dampened cooked before grouting

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks great. they do come up well. I used lots of these when I was an apprentice, they were coming from mexico and the odd one had a foot print of a chicken or a coyote in them. When you started to lay them you could see where something had run across them when they had been drying before they were fired. the customers loved them, but in the end their were that many turning up I think someone must have made a stamp and been doing them by hand.

Reply to Potential Grout Disaster! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks