Discuss Grout joints cracking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Evening

1st time poster, so here goes

I have a 2 part floor, half on the original screed which has an electric matting system(supplied and fitted by the electrician) and half on the new screed which has the water system in the screed, the floor was laid about a year ago. The new screeded area is fine, no cracks in the grout, but the original area on the electric matting the grout has cracked, this isn't the 1st time, happened about 6 months ago, which I put down to the UHF being on about 100 degrees, so removed all the grout and regrouted, told the client to leave it 28 days, start it low and increase it by 5 degrees, now they're saying they haven't turned it back on and it's just started to crack again, the tiles are 600sq porcelain which have been backed, used webber SPF, not really been built up, the tiles are still solid, it has ditra down and I used Arduit FL grout and am pulling what hair I have left, out!!! Anyone got any ideas, would be massively appreciated

cheers Matt

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Only reason for grout cracking in this type of floor makeup is movement. Something is clearly moving. What are the floor dimensions. Is there any hollowness in the tiles especially round where the grout crack are. I agree with your suspicion about the 100degrees C although I suspect that is a bit of an exaggeration. It has just got really cold so have they put the heating on at a high temperature causing rapid thermal expansion and thermal shock?? Is there expansion gap around the edges of the floor. If not it could be trying to belly upwards breaking the grout as it goes.

Alan, something is definitely moving, just can't figure out what is doing it. The tiles are solid around where the cracks in the grout are, there is some form of expansion round the edges as they are under the units and from memory they weren't cut in tight to the walls. It was a slight exaggeration regarding the temperature, but it was extremely hot, it is basically cracked where all the matting is and I guess it's gonna come down to the heating system, is there any way on an electric system to check if it's been used, other than the tiles being hot!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout joints cracking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Last Dec tiled a small conservatory (13m) with 600mm porcelain tiles. Prior to tiling another...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB