Search the forum,

Discuss Grout joints cracking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
The wet side has been left on, as the floors are they're only source of heat for the kitchen/diner, i did think of that possibility, but the cracks have spread about 5 linea metres from the joint and not all over the floor, probably still 70% of the floor, but not in continuous joints

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Bri has expanded (lol) on where I was going. My money is on the new screed expanding and causing the slightest pressure... Just enough to crack the grout maybe?

S

Stef

The mat supplied by the spark, was it for a timber or concrete floor?
I got sent down the wrong mat for a floor before but I'm not sure what the outcome would be as I never fitted it, got it exchanged.

Reaction score
Enough pressure to crack the grout, but not enough to move the tiles, maybe, you think that would move that much over 5metres without any hairline cracks appearing the tiles?? Cheers for all your help by the way

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Only reason for grout cracking in this type of floor makeup is movement. Something is clearly moving. What are the floor dimensions. Is there any hollowness in the tiles especially round where the grout crack are. I agree with your suspicion about the 100degrees C although I suspect that is a bit of an exaggeration. It has just got really cold so have they put the heating on at a high temperature causing rapid thermal expansion and thermal shock?? Is there expansion gap around the edges of the floor. If not it could be trying to belly upwards breaking the grout as it goes.

Reaction score
Alan, something is definitely moving, just can't figure out what is doing it. The tiles are solid around where the cracks in the grout are, there is some form of expansion round the edges as they are under the units and from memory they weren't cut in tight to the walls. It was a slight exaggeration regarding the temperature, but it was extremely hot, it is basically cracked where all the matting is and I guess it's gonna come down to the heating system, is there any way on an electric system to check if it's been used, other than the tiles being hot!!

Reply to Grout joints cracking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen