Search the forum,

Discuss Which Adhesives to use in Bathroom - DIY Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Hi Guys

thanks for all your replies and things to think about. Going to CTD this afters to order with their 25% off offer. I am pretty sure that the tiles are ceramic but will confirm this and the thickness while I am there. I did see something about adhesive they done that was BAL in another bag. Is this any good?

Cheers

Steve

Hav'nt used myself but have read posts from some of the others who do, they seem to like it.

For your tile weights here's a guide Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lawrenso

Right, they are porcelain. They calculated it out that I will just be within tolerance for the walls. :grouphug:

So now my other problems. I need a 60cm Rail Cutter to deal with them. I do have a small wet cutter from previous projects (PlasPlugs one) that will do I think for the smaller cuts. Should I buy a RubiStar 60n Plus that seem to be quite reasonably priced at £78 online or go for something like the Rubi Ti-S-66 which is designed for porcelain - bit more costly at £175 but might pay dividends in making the job easier and sure that I could move it for not much less...

I purchased an angle grinder that came with two Diamond blades at £19.99.

They recommended a Webber M72 adhesive or something like that for the walls - What are your thoughts on this?

I will also need to drill for the following

1. Hanging the radiator

2. Hanging the Shower screen

3. Two 15 mm Shower pipes

4. Wall fittings (tower rail, shower, etc)

5. 32 mm waste from sink

and the biggy - the toilet waste.

So - what do I need for the above without breaking the bank!!!

Also, I will need to cut out for fan switch - unless I resite this on the other side of the stud wall. If I don't and it falls within the tile, what is the advice.

Cheers

Steve

G

grumpygrouter

For your drills, look no further than 365drills.com. They do a bathroom fitting "kit" with all the necessary drill sizes.

Should all electric swithes be outside the bathroom unless activated by a string pull?

Any cementitious adhesive suitable for porcelain will do the job. As for the cutter, see if your local CTD will hire out a suitable cutter.:thumbsup:

L

lawrenso

For your drills, look no further than 365drills.com. They do a bathroom fitting "kit" with all the necessary drill sizes.

Cheers - found that link after my last post.

Should all electric swithes be outside the bathroom unless activated by a string pull?

A funny one that - Bathroom isolator can be located on the inside of the bathroom or outside - and as the only electric is the fan.... Some sparks like it to be where they can see it - ie - where they are doing the work so somebody doesn't come along and switch it on.. The fan itself is controlled by a pull chord.

Any cementitious adhesive suitable for porcelain will do the job. As for the cutter, see if your local CTD will hire out a suitable cutter.:thumbsup:

There was no offer when in there - only to sell. I would prefer to buy as I plan to do the en-suites next year and then I might redo our kitchen as the tiler we had in was not much kop although came recommended from 2 different places - he now works at British Aerospace :lol:

Cheers Grumpy

replies above.

Cheers

Steve

D

doug boardley

its not the size of the tile that determines the weight
its per m2 example 6" x 6" tile x 44 = 1 m2
12"x 12" tile x 22 = 1 m2
so it does not go with the size of the tile
general rule i use, no more than 9mm thick, tile on plaster
and no more than 16mm on plasterboard
got to take into account tho' that the larger the format of the tile, the thicker, therefore your density per square metre rises.
apologies, this issue has already been covered in prior posts

Last edited by a moderator:
M

medlar

The poster didn't specify what type of tile he was fixing, neither did I bother to look at the CTD site to determine what they are. 9mm thick porcelain tiles will be heavier than 9mm ceramics, and stone will generally be even heavier. He should still check out the weight of his tiles before fixing. I would hate for one to fall off and hit his child on the head in the bath!

I am with Grumpy all the way on this.whats the heaviest,i.e 600mmx300mm Ceramic,600mmx300mm,porcelain or 600mmx300mm limestone,they are all 9mm thick. They are all the same size but each tile has a different weight,

Reply to Which Adhesives to use in Bathroom - DIY Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen