Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom floor tiles cutting & grout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

Essexsteve

You haven't cut the envelope cuts in the right place anyway.

To get the falls correctly, you need to cut from the corner of the square drain, not to the centre of the drain plate. This so that the tiles will be flat all around the drain and not have lips.
Don't!!!! I realised that afterwards!! And I knew it had to go the the corners as I've watched videos of it being done. What a div. definitely going to do it again. Envelope to corners, 2-3mm grout lines and using a diamond blade circular saw.

Any other advice?

Q

Qwerty

Dry lay, mark with pencil/ pen on tape, cut, ensure marks still visible, dry lay again, take a photo, remove all, then tile away for the last time fixing with cement tile adhesive.

Basically a giant jigsaw puzzle.... (zoom in!)

20170822_151659.jpg

E

Essexsteve

Mate that looks awesome. Thank you.

I plan on getting a diamond blade for my circular saw and making a jig up so it's a sort of diy sliding saw tile cutter. Think that'll work?

S

Spare Tool

Why not run a groutline through the centre of the drain and get rid of those small cuts on both sides?
Edit..infact if you did that you could use your dry cutter for the envelope cuts and just open them up with a 2mm spacer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Essexsteve

I'm sure that is a fantastic idea however I have no idea what you mean. Lol. I'm sorry to take up your time but could you explain it a 'little simpler' for me? Thanks.

What small edges do you mean? And what do you mean by 'run groutline through the centre of the drain'?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You've centred the drain on the vertical and not the horizontal.
So you have a full tile with 2 small cuts top and bottom. If you centred the drain on the horizontal as Andy says then you would only need 2 large cut tiles (which would look better and as Andy says - you can then just open the dry cuts out without messing up the spacing.

E

Essexsteve

You've centred the drain on the vertical and not the horizontal.
So you have a full tile with 2 small cuts top and bottom. If you centred the drain on the horizontal as Andy says then you would only need 2 large cut tiles (which would look better and as Andy says - you can then just open the dry cuts out without messing up the spacing.
I kind of get what you mean. But don't see how I'd only need to cut two full tiles. (I'm sorry I just can't picture it)

Is this anything like what you mean?

IMG_5196.JPG

I'm still trying to work out another way that you could mean.

S

Spare Tool

I kind of get what you mean. But don't see how I'd only need to cut two full tiles. (I'm sorry I just can't picture it)

Is this anything like what you mean?

View attachment 95934

I'm still trying to work out another way that you could mean.
Yep you got it, now see how you could cut the envelopes on the slide cutter and just open them up with a two mill spacer without it messing any other spacings up?

Reply to Wetroom floor tiles cutting & grout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen