Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom floor tiles cutting & grout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

Essexsteve

IMG_5196.JPG
Hi all. I have just had my first attempt to cut the tiles for my raised wetroom floor. They are approx 600x300 porcelain tiles. I have a standard score and snap tile cutter and a cheap electric wet circular cutter from screwfix.

I have done an 'ok' job and one that I'd probably be ok with keeping and not redoing, but I'm still debating hiring a proper sliding one to get it better.

Anyway, my question. Edges. Obviously there is large grouting gaps, mine are 4mm in between full tiles, but what do I do to waterproof the angled cuts to accommodate the fall in the tray? I used the score and snap tool so even though they lay down and fit into one another perfectly, I'm worried about the obvious hairline gap.

What do the pros do?

What could I do?

Thanks. Steve.

Ps if you zoom in on the picture you'll see the lines I mean.

D

Deleted member 49260

Diy'er here, when I asked about envelope cut spacing the answer was that the blade gap and an edge polish would be sufficient for grouting, given you've scored and snapped I guess you'll have to create bigger gap somehow, hopefully one of the big boy's will be along shortly with full answer.

E

Essexsteve

Diy'er here, when I asked about envelope cut spacing the answer was that the blade gap and an edge polish would be sufficient for grouting, given you've scored and snapped I guess you'll have to create bigger gap somehow, hopefully one of the big boy's will be along shortly with full answer.
I know what you mean, if I have to rent a big sliding cutter I will. However I have seen it done like this before, but just don't know what they did to fill the lines

E

Essexsteve

Well I'm now looking at getting a diamond blade for my circular saw or rent a proper sliding cutter to can alter the groutline.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

Are they ceramic tiles ?

As above really you need to cut with a diamond blade which removes a couple mm of material which then becomes your grout joint. You must have that Joint to grout otherwise you have no way of closing up the open joint you have made basically.

E

Essexsteve

Are they ceramic tiles ?

As above really you need to cut with a diamond blade which removes a couple mm of material which then becomes your grout joint. You must have that Joint to grout otherwise you have no way of closing up the open joint you have made basically.
That's what I was worried about. Great just wasted a box of tiles. Lol. I was thinking about buying a diamond wheel for my skill/circular saw and using a straight jig. Would that work? Same principle as a proper skidy one.

B

Bill

You haven't cut the envelope cuts in the right place anyway.

To get the falls correctly, you need to cut from the corner of the square drain, not to the centre of the drain plate. This so that the tiles will be flat all around the drain and not have lips.

Reply to Wetroom floor tiles cutting & grout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen