Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss New Big Clinker cracking tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Some of you may remember I was looking for a manual tile cutter and after much pondering I bought a big clinker, I used it for the first time today and was very happy with it but it did crack 2 or 3 tiles upon 'breaking'.

The tiles were nothing big just ceramic of roughly A4 size, they all cracked while cutting on the longer length and I was just scoring once and pulling down gently.

Does anyone know why this happend? I had loads of successful cuts though from it.

IMG00162-20101024-1403.jpg

D

DHTiling

You are breaking to close to the tile edge.. pull it forwards to about 50mm in and try again..

W

White Room

So many different variables, if it was just a couple of tiles I would'nt be to concerned, if it was 50% then I would be concerned.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try moving it up tomorrow, I wouldn't care but every crack was on the half I wanted!

It does save loads of time over the machine cutter though.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I don't think this machine allows you to break further down, the wheel gets in the way.

I've left it at the job so I cant check.

D

DHTiling

I may be wrong but I don't think this machine allows you to break further down, the wheel gets in the way.

I've left it at the job so I cant check.

Ahh right, then try not to apply to much pressure on the break.. just a light tap..

S

Slowly Learning

I had the exact same problem last week. Always cracked on the left hand side of the tile so just measured up so the piece I wanted was on the right hand side of the cutting line. Never done it before and hasnt done it since, may need a new cutting wheel to ensure good clean cut as they dont last as long as a rubi wheel. Dont rush out and buy a new cutter just keep an eye on it and see what occurs mate.

T

tfs

I tiled an adapted wetroom with cheap ceramics and many of the tiles broke so scored with big clinker and snapped over my knee or over edge or thin dowel. I never experienced this on any other tiles so put it down to the tile. A few weeks after this I was speaking with a tiler down at the tile shop who had the same experience with the tiles that I had fitted.

the wheel has three settings that allow you adjust the depth so hopefully shoudn't get it in the way unless the tiles are very thick e.g. 20mm

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Correct TFS!, I checked the instructions before I logged on and you're right I can adjust the wheel height to allow a mid break

You were right all along Dave!

ryan83

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ive been having similar bother with tiles breaking. I use a TX700. Today I was laying 600x400 porcelain and found that when i pressed the breaker down the tile would split as normal till maybe about halfway down it would crack. This happened a couple of times until i ended up just having to use my wet cutter. Could this also be due to the breaker being in the wrong postion? Also, i tried using a bigger blade, and snapping the breaker down a bit quicker but tiles just kept on cracking. This happened when cutting long ways down the tile. Ive never had this problem when working with porcelain before. Any advice would be much appreciated. cheers.

D

DHTiling

Do you score just once or twice etc..? Some heavy glazed tiles need scoring more than once..

ryan83

TF
Reaction score
Yeah I tried scoring a couple of times, I also stuck bigger blade on and went over alot heavier than i normally would. I ended up just trying different ways on the broken/cracked tiles and nothing seemed to work consisently.

D

DHTiling

Try scoring the back of the tile and break upside down.. that can worl sometimes as well...

Some hard fired glazed ones can be difficult to break..

ryan83

TF
Reaction score
Thank you Dave. I'll give that a go if it happens again. I think thats about the only thing I didnt try today.

Cheers again.

Reply to New Big Clinker cracking tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks