Discuss Cracking tiles when cutting 600mm Cheap cutter?? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Tiling my bathroom first time and going well so far! 600x300 ceramics on walls and plan 600x600 porc on floor.
I’ve borrowed a QEP Big Clinker and it’s cut 300mm fine so far, no failed cuts out of about 8-9 I’ve done. HOWEVER I tried to cut long ways 600mm and tiles kept cracking! I’ve burned through 4 or 5 tiles (my entire wastage allowance basically) trying to no avail. Tile seems to crack in a V where the pads sit when I press down. Tired slow pressure, tried hard and fast, tried scoring harder etc. This cutter does not seem to like 600mm. It’s barely used.
What am I doing wrong and is there a better method. Or should I just lump it and buy a proper branded (Rubi/Monolit etc) for £3-400 and will that perform better?! Or is it my amateur technique (no issues with cutting short way 300mm).
Ps got so much advise and tips from this site so far so thanks!
ps any comments on my tiling from the pic welcome always looking to improve!

Attachments

• 92BC32CE-E683-4892-A53F-2E9DE6A0E69E.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 5CE9CF2F-47F9-4CFB-BE6C-2F7161F21147.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Break the tile about 20mm in from the measuring bar. Try that.
I’ll try thanks. Is it best to apply gentle pressure slowly when snapping until it breaks or a quick sharp push on the handle. I had to apply a fair amount of pressure on those ones I broke to get them to break, much more than when cutting short ways along the 300mm side. Which is why the tiles are cracking either side

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ll try thanks. Is it best to apply gentle pressure slowly when snapping until it breaks or a quick sharp push on the handle. I had to apply a fair amount of pressure on those ones I broke to get them to break, much more than when cutting short ways along the 300mm side. Which is why the tiles are cracking either side
Try both and see which suits that handle/breaker.

Reaction score
Try both and see which suits that handle/breaker.
No it doesn’t like these cheap tiles. Cut a 600 porcelain and it cut perfectly but ceramic is too soft it just smashes up.
Resorted to scoring with the cutter then snapping it myself over a piece of timber by standing on it. Works well.

Reply to Cracking tiles when cutting 600mm Cheap cutter?? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks