Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grout cracking within minutes of applying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

StevieG

Help! I have recently laid tiles onto a wooden bathroom floor with no real problems. Came to the grouting and problems began. Basically, my grout cracks soon after application and I do not know why! For reference, I am using Unibond Tile on Floors Waterproof Grout. The tub says it is ok for wide joints and is flexible.
Can anyone help - am I using the right stuff, or what am I doing wrong????

M

marc1106

:welcome:StevieG
if its cracking when you move then it means the subfloor must be moving(big trouble)
or it could just be shrinkage cracks,
are you loading enough grout into the joints?
personally i avoid any unibond tiling products as i beleive theyre substandard:thumbsdown:
how did you prep the floorboards and what type of boards are they chipboard, t&g?

S

StevieG

Thanks for the prompt response.:thumbsup:

The floor is stable! It's chipboard flooring - would that make a difference to the grout?

I am pretty sure that I put enough into the cracks. Just called Unibond helpline and they said it was because I was over wetting the grout when wiping clean! If it's shrinkage cracks - how do I overcome them?? What grout do you recommend?

D

Deleted member 9966

StevieG

Put a small glass of water on the bathroom floor, and then stand on the floor and bounce up and down. If the water moves, then the floor is moving.

How thick is the chipboard you have tiled on to? And are you sure all the tiles are stuck completely? When did you you tile?

M

marc1106

Thanks for the prompt response.:thumbsup:

The floor is stable! It's chipboard flooring - would that make a difference to the grout?

I am pretty sure that I put enough into the cracks. Just called Unibond helpline and they said it was because I was over wetting the grout when wiping clean! If it's shrinkage cracks - how do I overcome them?? What grout do you recommend?

ok not teaching you to suck eggs( take no offence) , but is it a new floor, is it screwed down @200mm centers max? did it have any bounce or deflection when walked on before tilig?

S

StevieG

After jumping like a looney :lol:, the water doesn't move. Think that means that the floor is stable - phew!:hurray:

Not sure regarding thickness of chipboard as it was already laid (we only moved in 5 weeks ago). All tiles are firmly fixed - laid the last one on Sunday p.m.

I grouted first time on Monday. Took it all out again yesterday as thought it may be due to me walking (only to move around to grout) causing cracking. Did small gap last night and left room straight away. No one entered room to can't be due to walking. Checked this morning and cracks had appeared!

D

Deleted member 9966

if it were me (and believe me, i've been seduced by the unibond ready mixed grouts and adhesives in the past), i'd chuck the unibond stuff and get down to your local Tile Giant and ask for a bag of powdered grout that you have to mix yourself. if you don't have a Tile Giant, try B&Q and look for a range called Buildfix.

unfortunately I'm not a pro tiler so I can't explain why the grout cracks once it's dried out.

GRR

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've only ever seen grout crack that quickly due to movement. On another note, is the Grout Flexible? If it's not, that's your problem imho. :thumbsup:

*edit* Not that i have a wealth of experience under my belt (been tiling less than a year).

Last edited:
M

marc1106

used the ready mixe grout and addy once on mosiacs and had to grout it 3 times before i was happy, for some reason it always shrinks back, ust get a decent powdered flexi gout, out of interest what sizes are your joints?
Ps glad to hear the floor is stable!:thumbsup:

A

ad tiling

Remove the cracked grout then go to a tile shop and buy wide joint
flexible grout, mix per info on the bag if it still cracks then the floor
has movement or addy not suitible for chipboard. hope that helps

T

tfs

try Mapei Ultracolor plus. If it still happens then I am 90% sure that it is your subfloor that has not been adequatly prepared. If it wasnt your subfloor then I could only assume that you have your heating on full blast and this is effecting the grout as it sets.

Ultracolour is a Flexable grout. Make sure you mix it to the correct measurements as described on the bag.

T

tfs

perhaps you can try a test for us mate?

go to a corner of the room and with a pencil mark the point where the tile height is on the skirting board, stand on this part of the tile and see if the tile goes below the mark you made on the skirting.

If the tile apears to sink further below where you marked then you most probably have a floating floor. Some floating floors consist of sound and heat insulation boards layed directly over onto and then sheeted over with chipboard this is not suitable for tiling onto.

H

Heritage John

I would take the grout out and re grout it with bal superflex you can buy it from any topps wont be cheap if your not in the trade but i think its best flex grout out there

D

DHTiling

Hi Stevie...just remove and use a more suitable grout as mentioned...mapei/bal etc...not a pre-mixed one..:thumbsup:

Reply to Grout cracking within minutes of applying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks