Search the forum,

Discuss Grout cracking within minutes of applying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ad tiling

Remove the cracked grout then go to a tile shop and buy wide joint
flexible grout, mix per info on the bag if it still cracks then the floor
has movement or addy not suitible for chipboard. hope that helps

T

tfs

try Mapei Ultracolor plus. If it still happens then I am 90% sure that it is your subfloor that has not been adequatly prepared. If it wasnt your subfloor then I could only assume that you have your heating on full blast and this is effecting the grout as it sets.

Ultracolour is a Flexable grout. Make sure you mix it to the correct measurements as described on the bag.

T

tfs

perhaps you can try a test for us mate?

go to a corner of the room and with a pencil mark the point where the tile height is on the skirting board, stand on this part of the tile and see if the tile goes below the mark you made on the skirting.

If the tile apears to sink further below where you marked then you most probably have a floating floor. Some floating floors consist of sound and heat insulation boards layed directly over onto and then sheeted over with chipboard this is not suitable for tiling onto.

H

Heritage John

I would take the grout out and re grout it with bal superflex you can buy it from any topps wont be cheap if your not in the trade but i think its best flex grout out there

D

DHTiling

Hi Stevie...just remove and use a more suitable grout as mentioned...mapei/bal etc...not a pre-mixed one..:thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I can't add much to the advice already given about buying a good brand grout, the only things I would ask is with what, and how did you prepare the chipboard prior to tiling ?

O

obobsmith

I can't add much to the advice already given about buying a good brand grout, the only things I would ask is with what, and how did you prepare the chipboard prior to tiling ?
Same here just hope chipboard has been prep'd properly ( hardibacker or ply and lots of screws).:smilewinkgrin:

H

heavytrevy

Grout cracks for many reasons, Overmixing causes shrinkage, drying to fast,
Too much water in the mix , im betting the chipboard is sucking the water out of the mix causing the cracks.
try a wide joint grout as somebody else has suggested

Trev

Reply to Grout cracking within minutes of applying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen