Discuss What do you use to mark your tiles for cuts... in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

D

DHTiling

What do you use to mark your tiles with for cuts etc...do you use felt tips....lead pencils...china pencils.....what do you find best..??????

do you use different on mat and glossy tiles...etc etc.....

OP
G

GazTech

marking out..tile face

If snapping glazed tiles.ohp pens permanent, rub the mark off the tile if it is still visible after the cut....If the tile is satin face...pencil..(2 tiny marks top and bottom of tile)....Gaz

All advertising can be removed by subscribing.
This ad should no cover content, please click this contact us with a screen print if it does.
This ad should no cover content, please click this contact us with a screen print if it does.
OP
C

cowboy

We use pretty much the same things herr in the states as you folks do over there.

I use pencil mostly & use the pencil/score trick as mentioned as well but the best thing I use for wet cuts on dark tile & most stone is a "White-Out pen" as found in office supply houses for covering up mistakes on paper? . Not sure what they may be called in the UK but Presto Ball point makes a version & I believe Bic too?

OP
P

penno

do you mean a tippex pen Cowboy? (what we call them here)

[DLMURL]http://www.paperstone.co.uk/cat_553-579-582_Correction-Pen-Inc-Tippex.aspx[/DLMURL]

Wipe off the tiles ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

ryanbrown

For wet saws i draw a line and stick insulation tape alongside it. Sometimes you forget which end of tape is the line though lol.

If your cutting a straight line all the way through a tile with no angle, then you you dont even need to draw a line - just a dot on one end - put that dot under the saw and get the guide snapped on.

OP
U

user123

Only dealing with stained glass sheets right now - old eyeliner pencils :) they stay on better than a tile marker, ask your wife or girlfriend if she has some old ones lying about and try it. :thumbsup:

OP
U

user123

mmm .. i feel a wifey make up bag raid..:lol:

yep, even lipstick has its place - I don't like wearing it so don't mind sacrificing some age old lippy :lol: really handy when you need a bright mark :lol:

Another really good thing I discovered lately, if I have a really complicated shape on stained glass, I draw or trace the shape with marker pen onto some tracing paper (greaseproof paper will do), spread copydex on the back of it, glue it down on the tile and use my very wet ringsaw, what a beauty that is :) the saw cuts no problem along my marker lines, the paper and copydex can cope with the wet, and the copydex just pulls off easily afterwards, the glass is unmarked, an absolute doddle if you have a complicated shape :thumbsup:

Reply to What do you use to mark your tiles for cuts... in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com