Search the forum,

Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was thinking about it but I've not got any weights to use to find the breaking point or even a torque wrench to get breaking force

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Good work Plan Tec

I would also like to see tests done on flexible adhesives and grout and what they actually mean by 'flexible'.
I mean say you tile and peice of plasterboard lent up against the garage wall and then bend it I can't see the grout taking much punishment to crack it.

Q

Qwerty

After a 36 hour soak, the test results are in!!!!....

-Glazed ceramic 43 grams heavier
(14.14% absorbtion)

20170501_084529.jpg

-Soft glazed Grade 3 Porcelain 1 gram heavier (0.33% absorbtion)

20170501_084458.jpg

-Full bodied Grade 5 Porcelain 0 grams heavier (0% absorbtion)

20170501_084441.jpg

In all quite an interesting test. To be honest the ceramic tile is not as porous as some (metros for example!) But you can clearly see the denser the tile, the less water it absorbs!

I will boil them tonight, but I personally don't think it will make any difference.

I will then let them dry out and measure the time it takes to reach dry weight!

I fancy watching paint dry after that!! :D

I

Italy

some years ago, have had a client, that has put the tiles of the balcony, in the freezer for 15 days.
he wanted to see, if they withstood the cold. :( I have asked him if you/he had put her in water before, him to said of no.
and then it is useless.

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen