Search the forum,

Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Following on from the discussion in another thread about not fitting ceramic tiles in a shower/ bathroom I have decided to conduct a little experiment.

I plan on testinghow much water tiles absorb.

I have 3 tiles to test-
-Glazed ceramic (10mm)
-Soft glazed Grade 3 Porcelain (11mm)
-Full bodied Grade 5 Porcelain (10mm)

Each tile weighs 304 grams so the water absorbtion will be easier to see and calculate as a %.

I will submerge the pieces for 24hrs then remove, wipe down excess and weigh. I will record each weight and then boil all 3 pieces for 15 mins. Somebody suggested water absorbtion for Porcelain is under boiling water so in the interests of fairness I will blast them for 15 mins to see if that makes any difference.

This could be a total failure and prove nothing but I have a feeling not.

Let the experiment commence!!! :D:)

Tile 1
20170429_193913.jpg

Tile 2
20170429_193829.jpg

Tile 3
20170429_193817.jpg

Tiles submerged at 8pm last night....

20170429_202028.jpg

And no, a Rubi wasn't used to cut Tile 2...... I had to chip of a gram to make the weight even !!!!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are you totally submerging them or just one end..?

BTW .....good on you and look forward to the results.

(Hope you had a white coat on, ear defenders and safety glasses)...:)

Q

Qwerty

Haha, no I forgot the white coat. White pants count? :D

Yes, tiles fully submerged (you can even see the bubble on the edge of Tile 1) and No, scales not stuck!!!!

F

Flintstone

I've left off cuts of ceramic outside before and when I've gone back to them after a few rainy days, you could see the moisture in them from the face, behind the glaze, be good to compare that ceramic to a dry ceramic for appearance

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen