Discuss Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sand and cement fixing = proper tilers,how many on here can do it ? Remember we can use adhesive but can you fix tiles with s&c
How often do you fix tiles using this method? If it was a situation that I came across on a regular basis then I would learn how to do it but in 12/13 years I've never once found the need to do it. I'm upset now as I always considered myself a proper tiler but obviously I'm not!

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

you cannot beat s/c fixing out side on paths and patio s .if you need to lift a floor height up 30 to 50mm on concarete .you will not do it faster or cheaper than fixing with s/c an avarage tilers that i worked with would lay and tile 20 m2 a day a top one 30 to 40 m2 a day .

I

Italy

you cannot beat s/c fixing out side on paths and patio s .if you need to lift a floor height up 30 to 50mm on concarete .you will not do it faster or cheaper than fixing with s/c an avarage tilers that i worked with would lay and tile 20 m2 a day a top one 30 to 40 m2 a day .
then I was a top.........:( was...

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It is not a difficult way to fix tiles, the problem is who has a the room in their home to allow the tile to come up so high. If the builder has dropped the floor for you, then there is no better way, though that video was a sad demonstration.

A

Aston

this method is not as 'skill demanding' as some people are making out. any decent modern tiler could crack this in 2 weeks. tiling walls in sand and cement would take a little bit longer but floor tiling is not difficult.

what is apparent reading this thread is, some people still can't rely on their own personal experience and understanding when it comes to setting times, adhesives admixes and bonding agents.

if i said, would sand and cement stick to a glass wall, pretty much all of you would say no, it would not be able to stick/bond/adhere. you would all agree that we would have to add something really sticky or to the glass and the mix? so use that same rationale when in comes to a porcelain tiles, dense concrete, bitumen or anything else that doesn't allow the penetration of water in a controlled period of time..

i'm honestly not patronising here, i understand that people can get a bit over awed when old schoolers come on and talk about the 'old ways of the force ;0) lol listen, trust me, learn and understand your setting times and adhesion and do a bit of floor levelling with a few bags of wet sand and a level and you will be so confident, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about (once again, sand and cement wall tiling is a bit more time consuming and a bit more tricky because you have got gravity working against you that's all.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been tiling all my working life and I'm 50 next month and I've never used s/c to fix tiles and in all that time I've never came across a situation where I needed to.
And if I did I would give them Brian's number...lol
Sounds to much like hard work to me......and I ain't got a cement mixer..:)

I

Italy

This is my thought, up to 10/15 years ago, I placed only s & c. Now with tiles present, increasingly less thickness, larger and larger, of course, to have less thick tiles, the cooking is automatically lifted and the flatness is not perfect, poses s & c is no longer suitable. Now with a leveling system it is also able to accommodate a non-planar tile.
After this, I think a young tiler although it is capable of s & c there is nothing wrong, instead think of laying a floor with s & c, might consider to qualify on factors concerning the future of the tile example: thin porcelain and its equipment or systems of that type scluther UK are used a lot.
this is just my thoughts, then every tiler is free to think what he wants, if in previous posts I have expressed adequately only because I thought it was a joke, I thought that pose S & C is no longer considered being outdated .sorry) I do not want to talk about the videos, because that person is not a tiler.
p.s I think I thought too .......;)

Reply to Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks