Discuss Fine hairline cracks in grout - advice please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Shishi

-
Reaction score
Hiya,

Just looking for a bit of advice. We had the area around our bath retiled 6 months ago and have recently noticed some hairline cracks in the grout. Haven’t found any images online with similar cracks.

It’s only on a few tiles but naturally I am worried that there is an issue with the installation. I’ve been in touch with the fitter but no response as of yet.

Please see attached images. Do you think this is common? What could possibly be the reason (no hollow sounds when we tap the tiles)? Could it be overlapping grout that makes it appear cracked?

Thanks in advance for the help.
1BD039FD-AB6C-41EE-BC01-2D9436E63F66.jpeg
79BE24A5-DB4C-4023-B3ED-C513BA582874.jpeg
C29763DE-6DB7-4C4E-9831-165D3B641E9A.jpeg

D

Deleted member 54066

Could be so, so many reasons
I need a lot more info to help.
What is the substrate?
What adhesive was used?
What grout was used?

Shishi

-
Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

The substrate is bonding which he added cement to which he said makes it dry quicker.

Mapei rapid set tub adhesive was used and bostik j100 smooth finish grout.

The original job was to take previous bonding off and aquapanel but he took a third of it off and said it was stuck on and taking the rest would damage the brick underneath which is why he bonded.

D

Deleted member 54066

Can't tile to bonding, there's your problem. don't know the adhesive sorry

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Doesn't look like cracks to me, just looks like how it's been washed down. Slightly uneven

Shishi

-
Reaction score
Doesn't look like cracks to me, just looks like how it's been washed down. Slightly uneven
Hi Tony,

We did think it might be some over lapping but I’m noticing more at time goes on.

Do you think it is the same issue with the below picture?
ECD66607-6645-425C-890D-5FD4C091BA66.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
From that image it still looks the same. Try sanding it back a little if you have some fine sand paper

Reply to Fine hairline cracks in grout - advice please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks