Discuss Does anyone notch trowel both the tile and the substrate? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don’t see it being a problem, I don’t do it as logic would be thst notching both tile snd substrate would add even more weight

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
In general no. What size tile is it and what's the substrate?

D

Dumbo

Depending on tile size yes I notch both but parallel to one another. Watch you tube video "trowel and error " showing how air gets trap behind tiles not allowing ribs to collapse properly

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The video?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some tiles need skimming to fill holes or pits. Like tumbled marble.

Most tiles don't required back buttering if the substrate is flat and has been prepped well.

You might need to back butter corners of tiles that change thicknesses like slate etc. You start tiling with the thickest of the lot, and in the lowest corner of the floor then.

Nearly all tiles don't require applying adhesive to the floor and the tile.

And pretty much all wall tiles don't require it. Unless the wall is rough in an area or something.

Got a picture of what you want to tile?

O

Old Mod

Back buttering is essential with porcelain, it increases tile to adhesive bond by at least 50%
Adhesive has to be forced (burnt) into the pores of the porcelain.
Directional troweling is essential, ie both in same direction. Cross troweling can cause much bigger issues by leaving air pockets beneath.
If you’re going to watch trowel and error, watch the official one from the NTCA
The video above although produced by NTCA is woefully out of date.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I remember ray at porcalthin telling me to trowel floor one way then trowel the back of the tile the opposite direction ? Has it changed now
I back butter all porcelain, but never have notched both
[automerge]1562423466[/automerge]
Has anyone tried the ‘artex’ Method and lifted a tile and a ‘tile in straight lines’ and lifted the tile themselves ? Try it, you will be surprise.
I remember a lad saying that you have to trowel in one direction so the water runs down the wall and doesn’t get trapped , oh what people get suckered into on the net :):):)

F

Flintstone

That's a bit of bad advice, @Dan
Back butter all porcelain tiles, unless there a 4 inch kitchen tile. Back butter all large ceramics and back butter anything made of stone or natural material. You can double notch in areas if you require a bit more bed depth. It also helps to get good coverage.

S

Spare Tool

I remember ray at porcalthin telling me to trowel floor one way then trowel the back of the tile the opposite direction ? Has it changed now
I back butter all porcelain, but never have notched both
[automerge]1562423466[/automerge]
Has anyone tried the ‘artex’ Method and lifted a tile and a ‘tile in straight lines’ and lifted the tile themselves ? Try it, you will be surprise.
I remember a lad saying that you have to trowel in one direction so the water runs down the wall and doesn’t get trapped , oh what people get suckered into on the net :):):)
That was me that told you about the water, used to do work for a bathroom guy in Bolton and he said you MUST trowel vertically so any water behind the tiles can run down the wall...
:tearsofjoy: he was a right clown :tearsofjoy:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a bit of bad advice, @Dan
Back butter all porcelain tiles, unless there a 4 inch kitchen tile. Back butter all large ceramics and back butter anything made of stone or natural material. You can double notch in areas if you require a bit more bed depth. It also helps to get good coverage.
Pisser. You must be an adhesive reps dream pal.

What year was it you took a course in tiling again?

Last edited:

Reply to Does anyone notch trowel both the tile and the substrate? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks