Discuss Is This A Bad Bathroom Tiling Job: Suspect Prep + Toilet Now Slopes in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Recently had a building company replace a leaking wet room floor, located on the 1st floor of a 1930's built terrace house.

The tiles are large format porcelain tiles sitting on a Ditra Matt supported by 18" plywood. The rusty trowel that he left before the bank holiday w/e gave me some concern.

This morning I couldn't help but notice this morning that the top of the toilet doesn't line up with the grout. The toilet is located on the far opposite walll where the shower is located.

I had previous concerns that the installer didn't use a notched trowel. I could also see gaps in the adhesive applied to tiles he had laid.

The rusty trowel that he left in a bucket of FastSet before the bank holiday w/e gave me some concern.

He came back yesterday to finish off laying the rest of the tiles. He was due to come back today to connect the toilet and taps (didn't have the right sized connector), but he didn't pitch up.

I've attached photo's mid job and when all the tiles were finally laid.

Any feedback or advice would be most appreciated

Attachments

• 20230430_185855.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230430_185553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20230503_212351.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230503_212329.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230503_132809.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 104
  • 20230503_115125.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230430_185723.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi and welcome… the first thing that hits me straight in the kisser is the envelope cuts on the shower tray , they are not lined up tpo the end of the linear drain as they are supposed to be.. hence why he has lippage at the drain ends. And jeeeeez!! How much silicone has he used . I’ll be honest i would be worried as well.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome… the first thing that hits me straight in the kisser is the envelope cuts on the shower tray , they are not lined up tpo the end of the linear drain as they are supposed to be.. hence why he has lippage at the drain ends. And jeeeeez!! How much silicone has he used . I’ll be honest i would be worried as well.
Thanks for the welcome and replying to my post.

More Issues.
The sink doesn't sit in alignment with the top of the vanity unit. As you can see from the photos, the top of the vanity unit is exposed on the left side of the sink. I pointed this out to the builders boss and he tried to fob me off with a gap was left there for "easy access or cleaning that side of the shower screen". Note, there is double the space between the vanity unit-shower screen (~60mm vs ~30mm) and the vanity unit to the wall, although the sink sits more or less in the middle between the wall and the shower screen.

Anyway, today my mum said water was leaking again into the kitchen. I only poured around a 1 litre of water down the drain today!! The shower was has only been used once since the builder left. I strongly suspect that there is a void under the tile, where the lippage is). Water was still present in that location 2 hours later and the grout is obviously still wet. I'm thinking what was the point of having a shower tray, which was an afterthought by the builder. Should've listened and acted on to my inner voice...

Remainder of the balance not paid yet (thank god) and he's supposed to come back on Tuesday

it's a shame you're not based in London :eek:/

Attachments

• 20230504_215304._DrainTop.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SinkLeftSide.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 53
  • SinkTop.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 52
  • VanityUnit.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
Looking at that silicon around the base would **** my day off every morning!

This needs re doing in my opinion!
Hey Slippery,

Thanks for responding.

It's actually doing my head in now, as well as the grout residue which wasn't cleaned properly off of the porcelain tiles.
It's my mums house, but I'll do it myself in the near future.

The source of the leaks (both sink and toilet), were due to a improperly connected ball valve. He thought attaching a shed load of PTFE tape around the thread would suffice. Stemmed the flow by turning off the valves, but they were still weeping I figured he either damaged the pipe or the olive.. I digress, Demanded that a qualified plumber (banned the original guy) come to look at the leak, which was dealt with.

To add further insult to injury, this leak (which was constant) ruined the kitchen ceiling below.

Was offered a 2 year guarantee on workmanship over their usual 6 months, which was jacked up to 2.5 years.

They will be named and shamed once all is done.

Reaction score
It's a shocking job, linear drain falls are completely wrong, location of linear drain is wrong, the setting out is wrong and not a good tiling finish, did the yea ahh person even do the correct preperation and install a wet room tanking system???

Reaction score
It's a shocking job, linear drain falls are completely wrong, location of linear drain is wrong, the setting out is wrong and not a good tiling finish, did the yea ahh person even do the correct preperation and install a wet room tanking system???
In my lowly DIY experience and from what I've gathered from pro's on forums like this, I don't think so... well not to the standard that I would expect wtih my 20% knowledge and 0 experience on flooring.

Backstory
This bathroom was converted to a wet room 3 years ago by a builder that I told to ef off after he tried to scam my mum.
He was subsequently banned from MyBuilder.com and 2 years later this wetroom started leaking into the kitchen below>

Anyway, this wetroom started to leak into the kitchen below when the shower was running. The early tell tale signs was the grout coming away and the floors creaked when you walked on them.

When the flooring was lifted, I saw there was a waterproof membrane, but this was screwed into the thin plywood below

Present Day
Due to budgetary constraints, we only had the flooring done. I was aware that proper tanking (I think 1 meter up the wall needed to be done.

I did mentioned to the CEO of the company I was concerned about the expansion joints as silicone would fail sooner rather than later.I was told that tanking needed to go up the wall (1 metre I think) which confirmed what I read and wasn't aware of any alternatives except to take the tiles off the wall... and here we are...

Sadly, my knowledge about tiling, flooring and wet rooms has been done on the fly during this 'project'. My mum just wants this over and done with.

There's been so many issues during this whole process :eek:((

Reaction score
I’m hate to think what it’s like underneath!
Agee it’s a rip out and start again. Poor preparation is preparing to fail.
Thanks for responding

The company has offered to up their workmanship guarantee from 6 months to 2.5 years, based on my well founded concerns.
Bit of a loss at this point and what avenues to go down, especially as I'm not a pro. My elderly mum wants this over and done with. It's been rather stressful.

Diesel

-
Reaction score
Sorry to see you have been caught out with a poor installer hope you can get it all resolved.
As for your concern it’s in my opinion a total disaster everything is wrong that wet tray is shameful

Reaction score
A proper wetroom is a joy to own and use, however it is highly skilled job to get fully correct in every aspect and there are far more ‘builders’ putting them in without the necessary skill and care.
It is not something to do on the cheap or half heartedly - you are better to use a shower tray if not fully committed.

Reaction score
A proper wetroom is a joy to own and use, however it is highly skilled job to get fully correct in every aspect and there are far more ‘builders’ putting them in without the necessary skill and care.
It is not something to do on the cheap or half heartedly - you are better to use a shower tray if not fully committed.
Hi mate,
A shower tray was installed underneath the tiles, however I do have some serious doubts on whether this was installed correctly.
In any case, we are at the citing the "Consumer Rights Act 2015" stage and I'm in the process of sending them a letter sent by registered delivery.
We shall see

Reaction score
Sorry to see you have been caught out with a poor installer hope you can get it all resolved.
As for your concern it’s in my opinion a total disaster everything is wrong that wet tray is shameful
Hi mate,
Would you be able to tell me specifically why the wet tray is a disaster?
Cheers

Reply to Is This A Bad Bathroom Tiling Job: Suspect Prep + Toilet Now Slopes in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks