Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dark patches appearing on limestone floor tiles after laying and sealing in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jburnett

Hi all,

I'm really hoping you can give me some advice.

I've just had my kitchen floor tiled in light grey Jura limestone tiles.
The tiler fixed them on top of the existing ceramic tiles with Setaflex grey adhesive using the "spot" technique rather than a solid bed. Some areas where there were no ceramic tiles were levelled using a self levelling compound. In some area the tiler used white adhesive from BAL because he'd run out of grey Setaflex.

All the tiles were left for between 48 and 72 hours before a first coat of sealer called Dry Treat Damp Proof was applied.

Within a couple of hours dark patches started to appear on the surface of all the tiles, with the exception of those laid on the self-levelling compound and on the white BAL adhesive.

That was about a week ago and the patches haven't changed appearance at all since.

Are these patches ever going to fade?
Is the limestone stained forever?
Should the tiler have used white adhesive all over?

Any advice really, really welcome as neither the tiler or the supplier of the stone/adhesive seems willing to take responsibility. I'm stuck in the middle and have had to cancel the kitchen fitter in case the whole floor needs to be replaced.

Thanks all. Some photos attached.

Julian

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 142
W

White Room

Your tiler should not have used the dab method,not a good method for fixing and white should have been used for the Limestone..

How thick were the dabs of adhesive.

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome..

Those marks are wetting from Spot fixing the tiles.. Totally wrong installation method... they might fade but cannot guarantee that..

The tiles should have been back skimmed to give even wetting/shading tot he tiles and solid bed fixed and not spot fixed like that.

time to give your tiler a call.. State to him that he has not fixed to BS 5385 standards.

D

DHTiling

Any advice really, really welcome as neither the tiler or the supplier of the stone/adhesive seems willing to take responsibility.

Errr,, The tiler is fully responsible here. He is the one who did this..

S

Stewart

Firstly the tiler should not have used grey adhesive, it should have been white rapid flex. Spot fixing is not a recognised technique for tile fixing, it should have bee solid bed. I doubt very much the spots will disappear and you will probably start to have problems with the fixing of the tiles as they will start to fail. I really hate to say it, but get in touch with tiler as a re-fit is in order in my opinion.....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
im lost for words........plenty of good tilers scratching round for work, and you get muppets that havn't got a clue producing bodge jobs like this.

can i ask where you got the tiler from, was he recomened from the tile shop?

I

Ian

Can't really say alot more than has been said already, incorrect fixing method, grey adhesive instead of white, this is why you have your problem. You must call your tiler back as this is his responsibility. I hope you get a favourable outcome, all the best.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: - who supplied the 'tiler' or was he recommended and did you receive an Invoice.
First place will be to try and get him back or show him the pictures - hopefully he will be of the right moral conduct and admit his error.

Very Good Luck - its going to cost someone a bit of money.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi j burnett sorry but as above that job needs ripped out.......after you have taken pics and sought compenasation in fulll from mr tiler

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
oh my, cant speak im so sorry for you but im afraid there is only one solution an i think you will
know what it is by everybodys comments again so sorry

P

Pebbs

hi j burnett sorry but as above that job needs ripped out.......after you have taken pics and sought compenasation in fulll from mr tiler

I totally agree with Kilty, the floor needs to come up sooner rather than later, the tiler (and I use the term loosely) has to step up to the plate and admit that he is totally 100% at fault. Jonathan you need to jump on this post haste, do not listen to excuses, get a recorded letter off straight away, with the photographic evidence. Also state that you are giving them 3 days to respond and rectify, and if he doesnt respond start legal proceedings.

This workmanship is deplorable, I would be raising hell....(hold a minute I do that most days!).

Pebbs

Reply to Dark patches appearing on limestone floor tiles after laying and sealing in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks