Discuss Is this overkill for a tiled floor? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when I installed a new shower..

So the kitchen floor tiles have been taken up and remaining adhesive removed. The concrete floor 'looks' dry and feels fine, if not cold at times.

Prior to the tiles being lifted, there was a damp feeling on the room tiles, but I've just had some repairs done to the outside brickwork where moisture was no doubt getting in. It feels fine inside, but winter may change that.

Basically, I'm trying to understand whether I need to lay a liquid DPM prior to tiling. The order would be Ardex rapid repair (repair divets from removing tiles/adhesive). Arden NA self level. Arden DPM 1C, then NA again prior to laying adhesive and tiles (don't know which yet).

I know NA is moisture resistant, so I just want to know if I'm kicking the *** out of it? (the DPM is 200 quid!). If that's what's needed then fine, I just don't like the idea of wasting money. I've looked at hiring a hygrometer, pain in the backside and expensive, plus I'd really like to crack on this weekend.

And my final 2 daft questions...

1. Would the above be suitable for an engineered wood (keep options open)
2. Do I need to cover the whole kitchen floor, or just where the tiles / flooring is going? Not doing the whole floor would save about 30% on self leveller and DPM. But again. just want to do a proper job.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Bumping this!

I've checked the floor levels and lowest to highest is 12mm, so NA appears to be out.

I did the plastic bag test for 2 days with no moisture seen at all, would you still apply a liquid DPM?

Could I simply level the floor with NA and aggregate without a DPM and second layer of NA?

Thanks all.

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would get a dehumidifier to dry up the concrete, once dry I would prime the area and level floor as needed. I would install uncoupling membrane Dural Durabase or Ditra Matting, that would be a start in the right direction. Good luck!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The only way to tell if its dry is yo test it. If you can't get bothered yo test it I'd treat it as if its damp. You could dispense with the second layer of NA if you used a gritted primer but the cost might not justify so I'd go with the spec in the OP. Yes it would suit a wooden floor as well

Reply to Is this overkill for a tiled floor? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks