Search the forum,

Discuss Dark patches appearing on limestone floor tiles after laying and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jburnett

I have. He's keen to see if the patches will fade over the next few days.
He says he's laid hundreds of natural stone floors using spots of adhesive rather than a solid bed without any problems.
I've asked for the floor to be replaced. He says he'll do that if it is the only way of sorting the problem.

S

Stewart

Replacing is the only way to sort the problem as it's been dot n dabbed. It's incorrect fixing methods and doesn't meet brittish standards. Even if the patches fade away, your still gonna have problems in the future due to the dabbing. The minimum you should expect is a complete replacement at his expense or I would prefer a refund and extra to cover the cost to rip up and replacement of the floor by a professional tiler.

B

Bolter

4. dot and dab fixing is not a recognized method of fixing and a tiler that uses this method is ether to thick to know better or is using it to get over an uneven sub-straight instead of doing the correct preparation.

...which also probably costs more in adhesive than buying couple of bags of latex. Its just lazy tbh.

E

enduro

Travertine tile repair 006.jpg Travertine tile repair 004.jpg Travertine tile repair 007.jpg Travertine tile repair 001.jpg This is what happens with Dot & Dab tiling. This is a tile that a hole appeared so the tiler went back and filled with silicone (the white bit on the floor) I had to go and replace it for the customer, as you can see white adhesive used and a solid bed...got a few more to do now as they keep cracking due to not fixed correctly. The said tiler will not do anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

It is horrible when we get threads like these. I cant really give you any more advice then has already been given, the guys are totally right, every single stage of this job was done wrong. The tiler will do everything he can to get out of sorting it out, Im sure he has done hundreds of installations like this and Im sure that he has done a runner with the money on every one of them.

Please do not let this cockroach get away with it, this floor WILL crack and lift in time even if the stains do dry out.

I really hope you get this sorted, can you keep us posted on how you get on?

J

jburnett

Just heard that the tiler has agreed to replace it all at his cost and to lay the new tiles on a solid bed of adhesive this time.
I'll have him remove the ceramics to make sure the moisture can go downwards as well as up.
It is worth pre-sealing the tiles before they are laid?

J

D

DHTiling

Are you sure you have confidence he can get it right... There is a bit more to it than just solid bedding.:)

D

Daz

I'd want to see some of these "hundreds" of floors and make sure that they are not cracked or shadowed before letting him anywhere near a repair.

I think you are better off getting him to pay for a proper tiler to redo the floor.

Reply to Dark patches appearing on limestone floor tiles after laying and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen