Search the forum,

Discuss Dark patches appearing on limestone floor tiles after laying and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jburnett

Hi all,

Thanks for your really helpful advice which I will pass on to my tiler in the morning.
In fact I'll just send him a link to this thread I think.

I'll let you know how it turns out but I strongly suspect it'll involve trashing about 25sqm of beautiful jurassic limestone.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
These sort of jobs really annoy me!! The customer spends a fortune on the tiles and then a so called unknowledgeable tiler comes along and makes a complete hash! Went out to an estimate last week where the customer had bought Fired Earth tiles (very expensive) and it's a mess and I felt so sorry for the guy. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it!!

S

Simmo35

In 21yrs of tiling I have never use grey adhesive on any natural stone tiles. The limestone needs to be removed. Where there is no adhesive under the stone, this is were the tiles will be weak and start to break. Dont take no for an answer these have to be removed.

T

The D

jburnett i am so sorry this has happed to you. unfortunately for the tiler he has made a catalog of errors and a trail to follow.
1. Tile on tile is never a good thing to do and in this case it has stopped the moisture from the adhesive going anywhere but up.
2. Grey adhesive and light porous stone is not the smartest move especially given the tile on tile.
3. sealing the tiles trapped the moisture in the tile.
4. dot and dab fixing is not a recognized method of fixing and a tiler that uses this method is ether to thick to know better or is using it to get over an uneven sub-straight instead of doing the correct preparation.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't allow them to re tile on top of whats already there!

Seriously though, I'm lost for words, its just disgraceful.

I recently made a mistake with a floor (won't go into detail) and the customer had reason to ring up to 'report an issue'.
I admitted straight away it was my fault and went back and sorted it at the first available date.

It cost me 3 days unpaid work and about £100 worth of materials but I walked away with a clean conscience and learnt a valuable lesson.

Also my reputation remained intact.

Reply to Dark patches appearing on limestone floor tiles after laying and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen