Discuss Council installed balcony tiles without any grout...? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tardigrade

Hello!

Council (freeholder) gave retiled my balcony as they had to fix the one above me so figured they'd do it at the same time. They finished ages ago but I only just walked out on to it (crazy I know) and noticed there are just big gaps between the tiles, and nothing in them. I'd expect some kind of grout? Also, some of them "give way" when stepped on...

tiles.jpg

T

Tardigrade

Sorry in my head they are "metal tiles" :) Wrong forum? You gus saying this is how it should be? Just seems odd to me with the gaps. Just asking for rubbish to go in the gaps never mind water...

craig89

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They look like promenade tiles to me. specifically used on asphalt covered balconies and left un-grouted so as to allow drainage through the joints and under the tiles at the same time.
They are normally stuck down using a polymer modified adhesive that is applied to the back of the tile in a W style configuration (hence the water can drain through the under side of the tile and (normally) into a corner drain outlet.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Bottom left tile looks like it has a crack in it (top right corner)? The coating maybe?

craig89

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like they have been fixed with expanding foam?
It is a type of expanding foam but comes in a plastic bottle. It’s applied to the back of the tile and expands as it reacts to contact with the asphalt. You’ll never get a perfect finish but it’ll normally do a good job of making a balcony non-slip.

Reply to Council installed balcony tiles without any grout...? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks