UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Colour Intensifier gone wrong in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

deebees

I had 3 floors tiled with quarry tiles a while back. They had a coat of sealer before grout but then during grouting the tiler made a right mess of them leaving me to sort it out! After a silly amount of time cleaning the marks and excess grout off I started to seal again with a cloth. Applying with a cloth was very slow (and only can do in evenings) and it was suggested to me (and confirmed on here) that I should use a paint pad. The finish looks great however, they scratch very easily. I am fairly sure this is because there is too much colour intensifier on in places.

I have tried using the wipe on more, wipe more off method but its prooving near impossible to do as it makes a right mess. I've read comments about polishing off excess but not in these exact circumstances. Do you think it can work, and recommendations on what I should get to do it?

Many thanks in advance.
D

D

deebees

Got a couple of pictures from my phone to add some detail..

This is what it was like after I had made a start to removing residue and staining, still bad at this point.
IMAG1427.jpg
This is what it is like today... (it doesn't look this shiney in real life though)
IMAG1463.jpg
Here is some scratching, in a different room where I can see it has gone on much thicker.
IMAG1462.jpg

D

deebees

At one point a couple of weeks ago we even thought about ripping all the floors up it was so depressing. I did think I was winning the battle with them as I got them really clean and the colour stuff was really working but wish I had never used a paint pad (or at least slapped it on with a pad).

I'm sure if you look closely on the pics you can find other fun such as I think the ridge on the tile edge indicates they are self spacing tiles designed to be very close but then have been laid with wide spacers.

D

deebees

I think on the first seal they did get the excess removed but I've used a lot of grout/residue/stain remover since if that matters. I am fairly sure at this point I've applied the later coats too thick and I didn't buff. I did try buffing the last coat but it was tacky like drying syrup and going nowhere.

I've just found a box of them, they are made by Ceralfa and are their Natural product with no treatment. A quick look on their site tells me I probably A) should have bought presealed ones and B) used a recommended wax sealer :oops:

Reply to Colour Intensifier gone wrong in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
I'm not having much luck in getting a straight answer out of Topps Tiles so wonder if someone on...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.