Discuss Patchy Mapei UCP medium grey in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Help! Advice needed please!

I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is doing for me. He is a plumber/all-rounder rather than a pro-tiler but has had plenty of experience and success tiling.

I decided to go with metro tiles (against his better judgement!) and Mapei ultra colour grout in medium grey. 3 walls are fine but the 4th wall (next to shower and bath) has come out really patchy-darker in some areas and lighter in others. It was all mixed properly (with a paddle) and directions followed as per the other 3 walls. We think the only thing that may have affected the dodgy wall was that the weather was warmer that day and the UCP is so fast drying. I’m also wondering whether the hard water in my area affected it (I’ve read on this forum suggestions of using bottled water instead).

I’ve tried removing the grout with an electric tool and a rake but it’s incredibly painstaking and not particularly successful. Some joints are ok but Im guessing that all joints on the wall need to be removed in order to regrout as otherwise the new grout won’t adhere properly? Or am I wrong in thinking this? There are joints galore as it’s a 3x2 metre wall. I’m putting question out to those in the trade as partner so irritated by what’s happened he’s not ready to answer questions about it🙈

I’m sharing partner’s dismay and therefore considering removing the tiles and starting from scratch as feel it may be quicker than removing all the grout.

Either way, as the other walls are ok, I need to use the Mapei medium grey again (reluctantly). I’m worried about using the ultra colour plus for fear it will do the same as before and we’ll be back to square one!! Is Mapei’s general flexible wall and floor grout more reliable than the UCP? Will the medium grey in this grout match the UCP medium grey?

Feeling terribly frustrated by it and really wish I’d chosen Bal instead!!

Any advice welcome. Thank you🙂

Last edited:

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Help! Advice needed please!

I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is doing for me. He is a plumber/all-rounder rather than a pro-tiler but has had plenty of experience and success tiling.

I decided to go with metro tiles (against his better judgement!) and Mapei ultra colour grout in medium grey. 3 walls are fine but the 4th wall (next to shower and bath) has come out really patchy-darker in some areas and lighter in others. It was all mixed properly (with a paddle) and directions followed as per the other 3 walls. We think the only thing that may have affected the dodgy wall was that the weather was warmer that day and the UCP is so fast drying. I’m also wondering whether the hard water in my area affected it (I’ve read on this forum suggestions of using bottled water instead).

I’ve tried removing the grout with an electric tool and a rake but it’s incredibly painstaking and not particularly successful. Some joints are ok but Im guessing that all joints on the wall need to be removed in order to regrout as otherwise the new grout won’t adhere properly? Or am I wrong in thinking this? There are joints galore as it’s a 3x2 metre wall. I’m putting question out to those in the trade as partner so irritated by what’s happened he’s not ready to answer questions about it🙈

I’m sharing partner’s dismay and therefore considering removing the tiles and starting from scratch as feel it may be quicker than removing all the grout.

Either way, as the other walls are ok, I need to use the Mapei medium grey again (reluctantly). I’m worried about using the ultra colour plus for fear it will do the same as before and we’ll be back to square one!! Is Mapei’s general flexible wall and floor grout more reliable than the UCP? Will the medium grey in this grout match the UCP medium grey?

Feeling terribly frustrated by it and really wish I’d chosen Bal instead!!

Any advice welcome. Thank you🙂
You can stain the grout a darker color for dirt cheap

Reply to Patchy Mapei UCP medium grey in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks