Discuss Colour Intensifier gone wrong in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

deebees

I had 3 floors tiled with quarry tiles a while back. They had a coat of sealer before grout but then during grouting the tiler made a right mess of them leaving me to sort it out! After a silly amount of time cleaning the marks and excess grout off I started to seal again with a cloth. Applying with a cloth was very slow (and only can do in evenings) and it was suggested to me (and confirmed on here) that I should use a paint pad. The finish looks great however, they scratch very easily. I am fairly sure this is because there is too much colour intensifier on in places.

I have tried using the wipe on more, wipe more off method but its prooving near impossible to do as it makes a right mess. I've read comments about polishing off excess but not in these exact circumstances. Do you think it can work, and recommendations on what I should get to do it?

Many thanks in advance.
D

W

White Room

Why did'nt you get your tiler back to sort it out...

Do you know what sealer was used and what quarry tiles were laid.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Quarry tiles don't normally need sealing , what make are they ?

Sent from my iPhone

D

deebees

He did come back because he wasn't paid. Too a look at what needed doing and never returned, evidently not worth the hassle :)

I'll check brand of tile, perhaps I am wrongly saying quarry, they are clay tiles.

Sealant is colour intensified - fila? topps tiles one.

D

deebees

Got a couple of pictures from my phone to add some detail..

This is what it was like after I had made a start to removing residue and staining, still bad at this point.
IMAG1427.jpg
This is what it is like today... (it doesn't look this shiney in real life though)
IMAG1463.jpg
Here is some scratching, in a different room where I can see it has gone on much thicker.
IMAG1462.jpg

D

deebees

At one point a couple of weeks ago we even thought about ripping all the floors up it was so depressing. I did think I was winning the battle with them as I got them really clean and the colour stuff was really working but wish I had never used a paint pad (or at least slapped it on with a pad).

I'm sure if you look closely on the pics you can find other fun such as I think the ridge on the tile edge indicates they are self spacing tiles designed to be very close but then have been laid with wide spacers.

D

DHTiling

They look like a thin dust pressed tile.. when they were sealed did they get buffed over before the sealer dried..?..

D

deebees

I think on the first seal they did get the excess removed but I've used a lot of grout/residue/stain remover since if that matters. I am fairly sure at this point I've applied the later coats too thick and I didn't buff. I did try buffing the last coat but it was tacky like drying syrup and going nowhere.

I've just found a box of them, they are made by Ceralfa and are their Natural product with no treatment. A quick look on their site tells me I probably A) should have bought presealed ones and B) used a recommended wax sealer :oops:

E

enduro

I have used this when customer has supplied it....seems very thick, not easy to use. I found you have to apply it and wipe it of in about a minute...nightmare stuff!!!

Reply to Colour Intensifier gone wrong in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks