Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Colour Intensifier gone wrong in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I had 3 floors tiled with quarry tiles a while back. They had a coat of sealer before grout but then during grouting the tiler made a right mess of them leaving me to sort it out! After a silly amount of time cleaning the marks and excess grout off I started to seal again with a cloth. Applying with a cloth was very slow (and only can do in evenings) and it was suggested to me (and confirmed on here) that I should use a paint pad. The finish looks great however, they scratch very easily. I am fairly sure this is because there is too much colour intensifier on in places.

I have tried using the wipe on more, wipe more off method but its prooving near impossible to do as it makes a right mess. I've read comments about polishing off excess but not in these exact circumstances. Do you think it can work, and recommendations on what I should get to do it?

Many thanks in advance.
D

OP
D

deebees

I've emailed the maker to see if it can be polished, I might just have a go anyway. Supposedly its a wax based product and wears away with time so I would assume I can speed up that process with a machine. Has anyone tried this or tried a dewaxer? does de waxing just take away a bit or is it back to square one with sealant? is it a pain to do?

thanks.

OP
W

White Room

Pesonally I would be stripping back with LTP solvex, try on a small area to start and wear gloves for hand protection and to get rid of the existing sealers, take it slow and be thorough..when cleaned use LTP colour intensifier and stainblock, if you want to bring up the colour...

I've seen quarry tiles never sealed and still look good but your choice.

OP
D

deebees

These looked really bad and were not practical. If you spilled they just soaked it up and the roughness made it just shred mops and held the dirt.

I was afraid that may be the solution, sounds like a worse job than putting it on. I suppose then I have nothing to loose by trying to polish the surface back first.

thanks
d

OP
D

deebees

Both. They were sealed (rollered on, wiped off) Grouted, Then lots of mess cleaned off. Then sealed again (but too much in places) these tiles were like sponges, it was hard to see the first 2 or 3 coats and water still soaked in and didn't bead.

OP
W

White Room

Not one I've used...remember you will be using a different brand to whats allready been used, as I said I would want to remove whats allready been applied IMO

OP
D

deebees

Sorry, I meant that in that other thread it talks about finishing the enhancer with a machine polisher. I'm not planning on adding more, just want to know if there is a chance I can buff off the excess now as opposed to strip it off and start again. Didn't want to buy or hire a machine if its a waste.

OP
E

enduro

Im doing a limestone floor at the moment where to much sealer has been applied. I used HTC twister pads to remove the over applied sealer. I used the white standard twister pad to remove the sealer or you could use the red if really bad. You use a 150rpm rotary scrubber just put water onto tha floor. Here is the phone number 0845 4602500.

OP
D

deebees

Excellent, thanks very much enduro. I need to hire a machine and get some of these pads. I'll report back with how I get on. Oh, any recommendations for something to used on a small polisher to reach the places the big one can't?

OP
E

enduro

Excellent, thanks very much enduro. I need to hire a machine and get some of these pads. I'll report back with how I get on. Oh, any recommendations for something to used on a small polisher to reach the places the big one can't?
When you get the pads a 4 inch circle can be removed from the centre of the pad so you can use these.

Potter

TF
Reaction score
Interesting, as I have the exact same quary tiles down ( with too much grout inbetween) in the kitchen, and i am planning on using the exact same sealer, Fila, on pebble tiles in the bathroom. Cost 30 quid for 1litre, and is supposed to be one of the best on the market...I am going to heed everyones advice though, and apply thinly....Will be interested to see how you get on incase I incounter the same issues....

OP
O

One Day

Interesting, as I have the exact same quary tiles down ( with too much grout inbetween) in the kitchen, and i am planning on using the exact same sealer, Fila, on pebble tiles in the bathroom. Cost 30 quid for 1litre, and is supposed to be one of the best on the market...I am going to heed everyones advice though, and apply thinly....Will be interested to see how you get on incase I incounter the same issues....
Did you spot that the thread is over 6yrs old?!

OP
D

Dumbo

Who told you it is one of the. Best on the market. If you are using the topps one that is like a diy product made for topps I would buy proper file elsewhere . In fact I wouldn't buy fila I would buy lithofin . Lithofin is German and you know how good the Germans make stuff.

Reply to Colour Intensifier gone wrong in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock