Discuss why i never charge a day rate unless ripping up a floor in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

charlie1

I don't see a problem charging a day rate as long as you tell the customer how many days it 'should' take you... Then if it drags on longer then your either incompetent or you have not taken everything in to consideration before start of job, neither should be funded by the customer

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I never give a day rate because I like to come and go as I please. Don't get me wrong i put in a good shift but if I want to finish at 3pm then I can as it's costing the customer no more and no less. On a day rate you would be obligated to work a full day or the customer wouldn't be to happy. .

J

jonnyc

I don't see a problem charging a day rate as long as you tell the customer how many days it 'should' take you... Then if it drags on longer then your either incompetent or you have not taken everything in to consideration before start of job, neither should be funded by the customer
then thus is a price charlie not a day rate!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Spot on jonny a day rate is x amount of pounds per day till jobs finished. Telling a customer it's x amount of pounds per day and it should take 5 days is a price. Cause you try getting more than 5 days money out of them.....lol

J

jonnyc

Have you had an experience of this today Jonny? Did one of your fixers want a day rate as the job was awkward? Or is this just a general thing?
no bri my guys are employees .i was just thinking about the number of times stone suppliers tell me a tiler has been on the phone saying the tiles arent same thickness and therefore no good and will take them more time to fix. these are the type of fixers who muck the jobs up and then i have to go round and see client for stone company .i see plenty of jobs done by rogue stone fixers!!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I never give a day rate because I like to come and go as I please. Don't get me wrong i put in a good shift but if I want to finish at 3pm then I can as it's costing the customer no more and no less. On a day rate you would be obligated to work a full day or the customer wouldn't be to happy. .

I'm exactly the same Andy, you don't have to justify your time keeping to anyone. Having said that I generally do more hours on site than any other trade anyway!

T

The D

i have a couple of bug bears and i state this now in relation stone fixing.
EXAMPLE:Turned up today and got a morrocan distressed stone to fix.
lovely stone . varies between 18 and 22mm .
am i bothered ? absolutely not
never get a really good level screed so can adjust and having thinnwer and thicker stones just makes fixing easier.
any fixer that says he can not cope with varying thickness of stone should stick to ceramics
have to agree with you on that m8. those sorts of tolerances put me right out side of my comfort zone and if you do not think you can make a job of it you should walk away and do something you are more comfortable doing. so my hat is off to you and anyone else that can work with that type of material.

P

Peter

What does everyone do if they're a couple (less than a box) tiles short through a shop/customers measurements? Come back free of charge or add extra for havikg to come back?

S

Spud

What does everyone do if they're a couple (less than a box) tiles short through a shop/customers measurements? Come back free of charge or add extra for havikg to come back?
if i havent supplied them and they run short they are paying for a return visit , I have this in my terms and conditons and always remind them in the scope of works to provide enough tiles plus a percentage wastage

J

jonnyc

have to agree with you on that m8. those sorts of tolerances put me right out side of my comfort zone and if you do not think you can make a job of it you should walk away and do something you are more comfortable doing. so my hat is off to you and anyone else that can work with that type of material.
Surprised to hear this from you Deano.
Unless you are winding me up , I know you could adapt very easily but why should you if you have plenty of work in your normal comfort zone.
gary touched on the subject earlier .
I have never used a notch on stone or rectified porcelain floor .
i may not be right on how I bed tiles but I do know that I get right coverage .

T

The D

Surprised to hear this from you Deano.
Unless you are winding me up , I know you could adapt very easily but why should you if you have plenty of work in your normal comfort zone.
gary touched on the subject earlier .
I'm not winding you up at all m8 i have had my fingers burned with this type of stone as i think you know. At the end of the day i am a tiler not a stone mason give me a tile big or small and i will stick it to the wall or the floor. but this stone that is all thicknesses shapes and sizes is not my idea of fun so i am absolutely with you tilers should stick to tiling.

J

jonnyc

I'm not winding you up at all m8 i have had my fingers burned with this type of stone as i think you know. At the end of the day i am a tiler not a stone mason give me a tile big or small and i will stick it to the wall or the floor. but this stone that is all thicknesses shapes and sizes is not my idea of fun so i am absolutely with you tilers should stick to tiling.
Deano I really appreciate your comments .i think we understand each other now.

P

Peter

Interesting point. If you don't mind me asking, what's your method? I suppose with different thickness it's not in your interest to use a standard notch.

Do you pour a continuous bed and beat to the same level?

S

Stef

Depends on the customer Peter, if you are on a good day with them then I would take the hit, if they are a bit of an arse then I would charge, every job is different in my eyes.

P

Perry

Johnny did we go to the same school ? When we started tiling lol or was because we started in the fired earth days.

Reply to why i never charge a day rate unless ripping up a floor in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks