Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking, Underfloor Heating, Hardibacker and Insulation - HELP!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JWOOD

Hi There.

My first post on this forum...

The more threads I read, the more confused I get with all the options available. Could I get feedback on my plan for the bathroom?

Floor:
Floorboards, then 18mm Marine Ply, then 6mm Hardipacker, then (some kind of waterproofing), then Warmup heating wire, then tiles.

Q1: Should I substitute Hardibacker board for 6mm insulating panels?
Q2: What should I use for waterproofing in this situation? (Homelux?, BAL WP?, ...)

New Wall + Boxing in the boiler (also shower wall):
Stud-work, then 12mm Hardibacker, then (some kind of waterproof), then tiles.

Q1: What should I use for waterproofing here?

Sorry - I know this stuff has been covered a million times, but I think your feedback on my scenario will get me started on this long gestating project.

Thanks,
JW

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

Hi There.

The more threads I read, the more confused I get with all the options available. Could I get feedback on my plan for the bathroom?

Floor:
Floorboards, then 18mm Marine Ply, then 6mm Hardipacker, then (some kind of waterproofing), then Warmup heating wire, then tiles.

Q2: What should I use for waterproofing in this situation? (Homelux?, BAL WP?, ...)

Sorry - I know this stuff has been covered a million times, but I think your feedback on my scenario will get me started on this long gestating project.

Thanks,
JW

unless the floor was really unstable then i would ply over with 12mm wbp then lay your ufh,you can also use a waterproof backerboard on the stud work eliminating the need for any further waterproofing

W

White Room

Just a small question, what tiles are you using, porcelain, ceramic or natural stone

J

JWOOD

so you mean:
Floor = Floor boards + 12mm marine ply + UFH > with no waterproofing or insulating?
Walls = Studs + waterproof backerboard (eg hardi) > with no waterproofing?

I thought you were supposed to waterproof even hardibacker board to stop moisture getting behind etc?

(thanks for replying!)

Not sure about tiles yet - I think we will be going porcelain

W

wetdec

Hi

Ok,

Tell me is there a shower, over the bath or wetroom area within the bathroom.

What tiles are you using for floor and wall

Are all walls plaster board

Tell me this and I will tell you what you need and what to do :thumbsup:

J

JWOOD

Ive got a shower and enclosure (no bath) so 2 walls both stud + (TBC) that will be pounded 3 times a day with shower water, the 2 glass screens with a tray (not wet-room).

I think we're going Porcelein on walls + floor.

Ceiling will be moisture resistant plasterboard.

The far wall (well away from shower area) is brick and plaster - im comtemplating just tiling straight onto that.

Thanks in advance!
JW.

B

bert&ernie

Hi There.

Floor:

Thanks,
JW

Always try and use insulation boards with ufh. will help improve performance. have a look at www.uheat.co.uk for some great products and prices will smash warmup prices out the water and you still get a LIFETIME guarantee:thumbsup:
Also PM tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum - View Profile: pjrich who will work out any prices you require. :thumbsup:

W

wetdec

Hi There.

Floor:

Here I would remove the floor boards and just use 18/22mm ply wood or providing they are sound over board the existing boards with 10/12mm ply, the removal will obviously keep your height down.

2 birds with one stone here, Dura-wp tanking membrane is also suitable as an uncoupling membrane.
As you are tiling over wood which is suceptable to expansion & contraction an uncoupling membrane is recomended to prevent tiles cracking from lateral movement (lateral not vertical movement) Fixing the Dura-wp over the ply wood will waterproof and prevent the cracking mentioned.

Insulation boards over a plywood bathroom floor under UFH cables unless working in huge areas is of no real benefit.

As bert&ernie will no doubt be aware the thermal conductivity of an insulation board such as he is sugesting is anything from .027 - .032 W/mk Ply wood on the other hand is around 0.13 W/mk. There is a difference of just 0.10 W/mk which is not worth thinking about in heat loss terms so an un-needed overspend imo.

UFH cable then tiles is fine.

Plaster board your stud work with 12.5mm boards as normal and waterproof / tank again using Dura-wp no requirement for cement boards.

Dura-wp bathroom and shower tanking solution

Thanks,
JW

Take a look above tried to catch it all for you but anything else just ask:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Just to add to wetdecs,,personally i would use the ci membrane instead of the wp..on the floor...It will cope with lateral expansion better than the wp...imo..

Reply to Tanking, Underfloor Heating, Hardibacker and Insulation - HELP!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen