Discuss Suitable adhesive for tiling upstairs onto ply? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

joshtiler

Hi all, I recently read a very long thread about tiling onto chipboard floors in upstairs bathrooms and how it is not a suitable surface to tile onto. Now i make sure that all chipboard is overboarded with ply and firmly fixed. Was just wondering what adhesives are suitable for tiling onto ply and do i need a single part or 2 part flexi adhesive? Also what is the best primer to use for ply?
Many Thanks.
joshtiler

T

TIP TOP

hi rich,i use a kerakoll product called marmorex which is a flexible powder but on timber i will always use the top latex with it as a two part mixture.you should use an acrylic primer but i like to use a tanking paint called aqua 77 which seals and totally waterproofs the ply,i dont know what the other guys and gals out there do.hope that helps

D

DHTiling

Hi Josh, personally i try to avoid tiling direct to ply, yes there are plenty adhesives that will bond directly to it but for extra moisture stability , i like to overboard with min 6mm cement type boards.. i,e. hardibacker 250..

This gives me and my customer peace of mind that water ingression doesn't hinder the bond of the tiled installation..

J

joshtiler

Thanks for answers guys :)

Dave: I have never used hardibacker 250 before what do you fix it with? the carpenter has already put ply on the floors so is it ok to put the hardibacker onto the ply? does the hardibacker need priming? will i need a spf or 2pf adhesive to tile ontop of the hardibacker?

I

Ian

Hardie is stuck with SPF and screwed every 200mm. Just out of interest, how thick is the ply that's been laid?

J

joshtiler

Hi bri, i think its 15mm ply thats what i asked for as saw a tread on here that said 15-18mm :) is that ok? thanks for the fixing instructions, will i be able to use the same spf adhesive to lay the tiles? does hardibacker need priming?

R

Rich

As has been said above, ply is better than chipboard but is still not a good substrate to tile onto, a cement board would be my choice. If you do decide to tile directly to the ply then I would recommend a 2-part adhesive and make sure that the ply is fixed correctly. Have a read through the link below for a little bit more info :thumbsup:

[h=3]Plywood floors...[/h]

Reply to Suitable adhesive for tiling upstairs onto ply? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay